"Ocean Rock"

Aquatopia

Hi, wondering if anyone has heard or seen of a rock I know as "ocean rock". Its not the "live rock" (dead as it happens when you buy it here, lol) that the salties keep.

Its a very dense, smooth, whitish rock that has lots of interesting shapes, hollows and holes. Looks great in the tank, but not seen it here in NZ so far. But it might be known as something different and I just dont know the name.

I will try and find a pic and post it too.

Here is a link to a pic of this rock - not the best example and the nicest pieces have more holes and more interesting shapes.

oceanrock.jpg

Please let me know if anyone has seen this around or knows where to get it and what its called. Thanks.

My other option is maybe to get some chunks of Oamaru stone and drill out holes and shapes - Im told this is soft enough to do this with. Does anyone else use it ?

I think Navarre has oamaru stone in his tanks. Like livingart says, it is limestone so it will up the pH.

If you like the holey look, why don't you take a trip to motunau and take some of the rock off the beach there?

I think Navarre has oamaru stone in his tanks. Like livingart says, it is limestone so it will up the pH.

If you like the holey look, why don't you take a trip to motunau and take some of the rock off the beach there?

from the bits ive seen and collected the motunau stuf is mostly holes that go all the way through - i like the way this stuff, when put together, will allow lots of little swim-throughs and caves for the fish.

i have oamaru stone in my african tank yes it is soft and easily carved a rotary tool like a dremel would be best but wear a mask as dust will go everywhere

Hi Spoon - can you do a pic of what it looks like in your tank ? If its too much of a pain to upload it PM me with your email and you can send it that way. Thanks :)

Im pretty sure ive seen that at long bay low tide over the north shore. Dont think you legally allowed to take anythin from there though....

Noooooooo!!! Long Bay is a Marine Reserve - 'take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints in the sand' :D