Tiger Lotus bulb And Flower Photos. It's Flowering! Seeds

oeminx

Just a little, because how did you get into my house to get to the tank? :o

I have the plot for a short story:

Plant breeder breeds rare hybrid lotus that's going to make him famous (and a millionaire). He hosts a pot-luck dinner for local aquarium society and plans to reveal the amazing plant at the end of the dinner. Guest arrives and realises with great embarassment that she hasn't brought any food to share. But don't worry, she knows how to make an excellent stir-fry...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the plot for a short story:

Plant breeder breeds rare hybrid lotus that's going to make him famous (and a millionaire). He hosts a pot-luck dinner for local aquarium society and plans to reveal the amazing plant at the end of the dinner. Guest arrives and realises with great embarassment that she hasn't brought any food to share. But don't worry, she knows how to make an excellent stir-fry...

lol

update: no seeds yet from the first flower, 2nd flower is starting to open, 3rd flower is confirmed.

Have you tried pollenating the flowers?

Yes the first one I think I successfully pollinated it with its own pollen, because of the development of the fruit/pod.

The second I'm am going to (right after this post in fact) pollinating it with the pollen from the first flower which has been stored and hopefully viable.

I woke this morning to find this

tigerlotusopentimelapse.jpg

the seed pod had burst open spreading thousands of seed everywhere

The seeds are small and black covered and a clear almost jelly like coating, it is this that give the seed there buoyancy

I would try sand, and if they germinate transplant them into a richer medium also with good light. Works with some Echinodorus sp. and Apoogetons like crispus. Too rich a media will cause a lot of algae problems in the water so you will have to feel your way a bit. Will they grow emersed? If so that would be easier still.

OMG! That's brilliant! :bounce:

Yes, I would be keen to try growing some seeds, just for fun. I wonder how to keep them warm though, with this cold weather. I might try growing them in a shallow dish floating in my tank. That way the water underneath will keep them warm, and they will be close to the lights too.

In fact I might try a few different floating dishes... maybe one with just plain water, one with water and added nutrients, one with wet cotton wool...

Gosh, sounds like excellent fun! Thanks for sharing, oeminx! :bounce: :bounce:

(I will send you a PM to work out the details...)

Well, I received my mysterious, squishy envelope today (ingenious packaging, oeminx).

I think I will start a different thread to blog my experiment rather than hijacking this thread.

Very exciting. Thanks again oeminx :bounce:

• 4 weeks later...