Broken fishtanks

lucy

Thanx for that, I'm still thinking 3 tanks is a bit over the top as I was really really careful with the 2nd two.

Got the carpet cleaned tonight will be interesting what improvements it makes.

cheers

has more than one tank broken in one place? Is the floor level?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 620t cracked in the curve last year no fish died so all good. I thought it was because I bumped it cleaning the filter but if they are cracking regularly you have to wonder. The local shop where I purchase my fish didn't know anything about tanks splitting so I was able to claim insurance and got a new glass body which was $300. I had to pay an excess but the insurance paid to clean up the carpet in my bedroom which had to be lifted and dried out. I am now abit worried I could have it happen again.

i agree! its weird. ive worked in a pet shop (on weekends, casually) for more than 3 years now, and never once did i hear of these tanks breaking. then all of a sudden on here, i hear of so many cases it actually shocks me!

you wouldn't hear about them breaking f you hadn't sold many. does the store you work in sell many of them?

:bounce: Does anybody have some words of wisdom as my disputes tribunal hearing is next week.

I'm thinking they are bringing in sub standard tanks, imagine having water all round the place and a child coming in contact with the plug, my multi plug didn't switch off.

I'm just glad I was home each time to save the fish and carpet.

:bounce: Does anybody have some words of wisdom as my disputes tribunal hearing is next week.

I'm thinking they are bringing in sub standard tanks, imagine having water all round the place and a child coming in contact with the plug, my multi plug didn't switch off.

I'm just glad I was home each time to save the fish and carpet.

Don't bring up the 'what if's'. The mediator doesn't care. You should highlight that you bought the tanks in good faith that they would work as advertised, and although you got warranty service, you're wary of buying another tank from them as you don't want the same thing to happen.

Who are you taking to the disputes tribunal?? The manufacturer, the importer or the shop you got the tank from?

I've got a few questions to ask. :roll:

1 What is a reasonable way to shift a tank across the room, or should I say how do other people do it please?

2 Has anyone had a fishtank other than an Aqua one break please?

3 Has anybody else in Canterbury had leaks or overflows or breakages with Aqua one tanks please?

4 Is it a reasonable time of say 33 hours after shifting a tank that it breaks, I've been informed after impact it doesn't necessarily break striaght away.

Did I mention this is a great site I wish I knew of it ages ago.

I stick to the good old fashion tanks, the ones with four pieces of glass joined at the corners as the worst thing that’s ever happened to me (touch wood) is the silicone on one side sprung a leak!

I was able to take out the fish, water and the next day I resealed it.

Also about putting foam etc. under tanks I use a thick carpet underlay and avoid putting heavy rocks in my tank.

this might help? :D

also forgot to say my tanks are only 60x30x30 and have 5ml thick glass, I've noticed alot of Aqua One tanks have very thin glass (mine might be extra thick? but better to be safe than sorry)

Hi Lucy, the way I move my tanks is by taking everything out and lifting them, this means the only weight on the bottom glass is the weight of its self.

the only other way I can think of moving a tank without taking it apart is by putting the whole tank on wheels permanently (they would have to be pretty strong wheels though)

:bounce:

We are in Canterbury and our aqua one tank had a huge crack on the bottom.

We have taken it to get fixed. Aparrently it had been leaking for a while but we never noticed because the stand absorbed it. Then it turned into a crack...and things got a lot worse! :( . Bearing in mind this is 2nd hand though. So not sure of age of tank, but i'm sure they said under 3 years or something.

Same as JarrenB said, we empty the tank out when moving it.

Hope this helps :bounce: