Broken fishtanks

lucy

The only way you can get away with not emptying a tank when you move it is when you move it on whatever it's been sitting on.

I was just thinking; do the aquaone tanks have a plastic lip around the bottom that prevents the glass from actually touching whatever it's sitting on?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, just adding to what I said above.

Because emptying a tank is a real hassle and is bad for the natural cycle of the tank its best to select a spot for your tank that’s suitable all year round.

i don't believe that emptying a tank is bad at all, when i have moved (three times in 4 years) i simply emptied the tanks & left the canister full. Setup the tank where i wanted it & filled it with fresh water adding warm so the temp wasn't too low. I never lost any fish & they didn't even seem stressed at all. if anything they reacted playfully as they do with water changes.

i don't believe that emptying a tank is bad at all, when i have moved (three times in 4 years) i simply emptied the tanks & left the canister full. Setup the tank where i wanted it & filled it with fresh water adding warm so the temp wasn't too low. I never lost any fish & they didn't even seem stressed at all. if anything they reacted playfully as they do with water changes.

I agree, you're better off emptying it and doing a good clean but keeping the filter media wet with oxygen to keep that going, than dealing with a broken tank :o

What I meant by: "it’s best to select a spot for your tank that’s suitable all year round."

was that if you do place the tank in the perfect spot you will not need to move it at all, possibly the reason for some of the tanks breaking is that they are been moved to much/often. (you cant help it if your moving house)

-please if your going to "Quote" this quote the whole thing so people dont miss the point,

above is a perfect example, yes Imsmith you should empty it because if you read my other messages then you would see that thats what I've been saying all along!.

:bow:

What I meant by: "it’s best to select a spot for your tank that’s suitable all year round."

was that if you do place the tank in the perfect spot you will not need to move it at all, possibly the reason for some of the tanks breaking is that they are been moved to much/often. (you cant help it if your moving house)

-please if your going to "Quote" this quote the whole thing so people dont miss the point,

above is a perfect example, yes Imsmith you should empty it because if you read my other messages then you would see that thats what I've been saying all along!.

:bow:

I don't understand...no one's insinuating that you should/shouldn't move your tank from season to season. That's just silly, and I don't think anyone does that. It's also not what the post is about. There may have been many reasons why she needed to move the tank across the room. I'm also not disagreeing with the way you propose to move tanks, so calm down for 5 minutes and read what I've written.

Yes, tanks can break from stress caused by a move. To lessen this, move it on a flat, strong surface, and empty it completely. If you're moving a tank across a room, you should do it no differently from how you would if you were to move to another city; except that your filter can probably just be switched off then plugged back in again in the 10 mins it takes to move it.

Thanx guys for your input : :)

Has anyone got comments on how long after an impact has occured i.e. shifting the tank and when it could break.

Oh I shifted it because I wanted a change, b4 it was behind the couch and when I shifted it it meant we could either look at it or the telly, the tank won most of the time.

My second two tanks hadn't been shifted at all.

Cheers

I would think that if a tank breaks because of a move it would do so within a 1 hour after moving.

if your tanks have been breaking after this maybe its something else,

Lucy does your tank have ...

1 heavy rocks (fake ones are good as they weigh very little)

2 a foam board to sit on

3 the correct amount of water

4 a strong sturdy stand

I say the correct amount of water because if its to high airstones can flick tiny drops of water everywhere which after a while can ruin the stand.

These could all be factors, I did make a comment above

I've noticed alot of Aqua One tanks have very thin glass

has anyone given this any thought, how many ml's thick is the glass on aqua one tanks? :D

Hi there Lucy,

I know the stress you went through with your tank breaking, :oops: My 6ft tank blew out its bottom Easter weekend, it has been running for 2 years but decided to crack across the corner. :evil: Didnt lose any fish but hell the stress as the water flowing out over the floor and hell where are the fish going. panic. panic. just as well i have MTS or may have been in trouble. Since then have checked the metal fancy stand. Out it goes, think that was the trouble, :o so now getting made a solid wooden stand. hopefully it will never happen again. Just as well it wasnt my new one that arrived in weekend so they will go in that soon.

Please dont give up with your fish keeping, it is a very rewarding hobby. Good luck with sorting out

you faulty tanks.

Thanx for that Linnie, yes it is stressful trying to keep fish alive and the stress of wet carpet. So is this an expected thing with fish keeping, I've had tanks previously and never would have dreamed of a tank breaking unless there had been a serious earthquake or someone or something had given it a good knock or fell into it.

6 feet is a pretty serious tank, what do you keep in it?.

No I've given up, just keeping goldfish but the native fish sound fascinating, I've had one in my pond, they are gorgeous.

There's an artist by the name of Alison Hale she paints native fish, kouro, short jawed kokopo and long jawed. I've got a painting called sunlit trout, it is lovely. Maybe I should just keep to painted ones and ones that you stick on the wall.