Lyretail guppy genetics

Hitchi2000

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to pick up an lyretail male guppy on thursday as well as a nice yellow tailed female from the same tank. He has a grey body with coloured spots as well as black patches. His tail has black edges and yellow in the middle, as well as more dark spots. The female spat out babies today, so far I've found 10.

What I'm wanting to know is how the lyretail gene(s) work? Is it recessive? dominant? sex-linked?

I have some young (6 week old) virgin females that I am looking at breeding to him when they are old enough, they come from my mixed guppy community tank, and was wondering if I'm likely to get lyretails out of them first time out or if I'll have to back cross the offspring?

Thanks heaps,

Take care,

Ian :0)

I have no idea about the specific genetics involved there are plenty here who do though..

What I would do is stick the male to your virgin females, generally you need to pick the female/females with the traits you want to breed from but I doubt you will find any lyretail ones.. You need to grow out the babies from this pairing and breed the male back to the virgin females from that spawn you should get some of the trait you want to breed for in that spawn as you have bred it into the babies and then bred it back to the original.

If it is a true lyretail as opposed to double swordtail, all the offspring will have an indication of the lyretail shape and colour. it will range from roundtail with double sword markings to double sword up to true lyretail as the parent.

Here is my venezuelan which has sort of a lyretail:

Endler1-26Med.jpg

and here are his offspring with an X-linked snakeskin female

FIEndlerSnakeMed.jpg

and with Flamingo female

FIEndlerRedMed.jpg

some of these guys grew to be beautiful lyretails but they all died from that nasty Columnaris before I was able to take their pictures.