Wow filter technolodgy is changing fast.

axolotl-danio

What can the computer do to the filter but turn it on and off and tell you when it needs cleaning. I will buy one when they make it so the computer cleans it.

lol Exactly what I was thinking.. What can you do to a filter apart from turning it on and off and you ideally want it running 24/7? Maybe they're going to market it as a power saver running it for half an hour every hour or something. Sounds like marketing to me can just see people in the shops "this is the top of the line filter you can even program it with your computer".

Oh how fast they are to mock :roll:

It is non nonsensical for a company to spend a large amount of cash for something that has no value.

There is actually plenty of things to change/monitor on a filtration system.

Flow being the primary process variable monitoring and controlling this can be for a large # of reasons.

Simple flow monitoring will tell you when your filter needs servicing or flag an alarm in the case of it not working.

More complex control of flow can be used to simulate more accurately the fish's environment -ie surging etc also in a planted tank I believe that changing the flow for the day night cycle has an effect.

Or alternatively we keep the flow constant despite the continual blocking of the filter therefore keeping our biological function constant.

I can especially see benefits for a marine system which is very fragile, corals like surges in flow etc and even a short interruption in filtration can be very costly.

I see very little to mock i just wish I had the money to afford one. :hail:

I can especially see benefits for a marine system which is very fragile, corals like surges in flow etc and even a short interruption in filtration can be very costly.

Except cannisters should never be used with marines, especially with corals.

I'm just surprised how little info there is on that website - which is why it's so open to speculation. If I was running that website i would at least list a few of the functions, and their benefits to the aquarium and/or the aquarium keeper. Come on Eheim, don't just leave us guessing! :P

I'm sure i mentioned these filters on here a long time ago...

the software on the computer enables you to know when to do waterchanges etc... that and you can reduce the flow at night or when ever you like...i think the newer updates have provision for a self diagnostic thingy if anything goes wrong.

that and you can monitor flow and stuff and use it like a wavemaker if you need to.

the aftermarket extras are awesome too.

I wonder how long it is before they make a filter that can give you information on water paramaters such as pH, KH, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite levels etc.

Would actually be handy to log onto your laptop and see all that info, including when your last filterclean & waterchange was, what your flowrates are etc.

you could go one further and make software that can cover more things like how many hours old your bulbs are, but this would require human input.

I know alot of people will argue that its unnecessary, but personally I like the idea of being able to see 90% of your tank paramaters at a glance. I'm sure there are others out there that don't record when different maintenence is done, then can't remember when its due!

I wonder how long it is before they make a filter that can give you information on water paramaters such as pH, KH, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite levels etc.

I

You can already buy tank computers that will do a lot of that, including managing your lighting and works as a wavemaker. The problem isn't really the system to monitor, record and display the information. That's just a few lines of code, the major problem is the hardware to detect the levels. There are PH, temp and salinity sensors that work fine. But calcium, KH, ammonia, nitrate all as far as I know cannot be detected with a sensor and need a reagent test.

Which, I suppose is possible to automate, but would be expensive.

man you wonder how much this new filter is going to cost, the pro3 and pro3e is already expensive

From what I read two months back on another forum; it could easily cost a good chunk more then a FX5!

Remember this is first generation technology so it's going to cost a bomb, however USB integration is on the surface a fairly cheap and simple setup- two chips, driver and a sazzy bit of software. If the technology catches on it would only be a matter of time before the likes of Kongs/AquaOne, Jebo, Weipro, SunSun, etc start making their own and bring the price of the technology down.

Now I don't have a problem with the potential software updates for my aquarium... but what concerns me is what's a fishy version of the 'Blue Screen of Death' :o

Stu :)

deep blue screen of death

<>< <>< A known bug has occurred but we have know idea how to fix it and those linux guys aint helpping us ><> ><>

It may be possible to continue normally.... but this is extremely unlikely unless you lucky stars are aligned

* press any key to continue

* press any cntl alt del to restart you computer you will loses all unsaved data and some saved stuff because I think you'll get so lols from it.

O and you filter stopped pumping 3 days ago because you were out of virtual memory.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

From what I read two months back on another forum; it could easily cost a good chunk more then a FX5!

Remember this is first generation technology so it's going to cost a bomb, however USB integration is on the surface a fairly cheap and simple setup- two chips, driver and a sazzy bit of software. If the technology catches on it would only be a matter of time before the likes of Kongs/AquaOne, Jebo, Weipro, SunSun, etc start making their own and bring the price of the technology down.

Now I don't have a problem with the potential software updates for my aquarium... but what concerns me is what's a fishy version of the 'Blue Screen of Death' :o

Stu :)

the pro3e 2076 the lowest of the pro 3 range already cost more than a fx5!! and it only does 400litres

but i would still buy it over a fx5 due to the quality of the filter