sea sand in a tropical tank??

fishcrazzy

I don't see why you couldn't use it. If it contains shells it would raise the ph, salt should be easily washed out probably no need to boil it if its from the sea any freshwater nasties will be dead, just rinse out the salt. I guess some sands are also iron based so they might not be ideal..

You would need to grade it somehow to make sure you got rid of the really fine stuff or your tank will always be murky and filters filled with it.

I would suggest collecting a smallish amount first, then bring it home and play with it before committing to put it in your tank. Treat it however you intend to treat it before you add it to your tank - rinse it or whatever. Then put it in a bucket (or spare tank) with some water.

• Measure the pH of the water after a few days and see how much it has changed (different sands will have different amounts of crushed shell).
  • Stir the water with your hand and see how murky it gets. Can you live with that in your tank if the fish stir it up?
  • Observe how it looks under your tank lights.

It's much easier to change your mind during an experimental phase than it will be after you're set up your whole tank with it!

thanks for all the help!!

ive set up a tank last nite with sand in it that i washed out, its stiil a bit cloudy this morning, am going to get the filter running today and do a few syphons of the sand with my gravel cleaner to try clean it up a bit more...and do a few water tests before i put any fish in :D:D

where can i get white sand that is safe for a tropical tank? and can i plant hair grasses in it? and how do i get the gunk out of it, cant really siphon it can i.

thanks

Hold the syphon above the sand, the crap tends to sit on the top because it can't fall between the grains. If you're worried about loosing lots of sand, top of and rinse what's in your bucket a few times, and just put the sand back in the tank.

where can i get white sand that is safe for a tropical tank? and can i plant hair grasses in it? and how do i get the gunk out of it, cant really siphon it can i.

thanks

That would be Silca Sand you're after, you can get it from placemakers we paid $29 for a 25kg bag. As for cleaning it, like Imsmith said - but I find just using the siphon hose with out the vac tube easier just hold it slightly above the sand. Also you have to turn it over I do this once a week, sand gets toxin spots also alot of crap gets under the sand. Plants do grow in it - however cause you've got to turn the sand I find planting plants in pots easier as I can move them. HTH

If you want to reduce the iron content (if any) in your sand, I buy a set of play magnets from a $2 store and drop them in bucket with the sand. Shake the bucket side to side, remove magnets which should be covered in a fine-medium black grit and a quick wash off using a 'blast' of water from a tap and repeat. Also using rear earth magnet in a small plastic zip lock works too.

Stu :)

I actually want to put sand in my up coming project of starting up my own community tank.

Cleaning it is easy and much quicker to maintain than gravel or stones, I have found.

So yes! You can put it in your tank.

Many fish experts around the globe do it.

Just be sure before you do put the sand in your tank that you actually like it like that.

Not only for appearance but for fish comfort.

Like many others have stated, be sure to clean it well before hand and you won't need to boil it.

Saltwater would have killed anything nasty.

I have set my 300lt tank up with Daltons aquatic plant mix and Daltons washed sand on top and it's good to buy pre washed sand because it saves you alot of mucking around, it took a couple of days to clear but my plants and fish (Discus, blue ram and guppies) love it, it makes the tank look nice and clean. I had some advice of getting maylasian trumpet snails to help airate the sand so it wont go green so some of them are hanging around in the bottom now to which I brought off trade me from a boy doing some fund raising for a school trip to Aussie. So long story short sand is good :D