Goldfish Colouring

yeh_buddy

I put my goldfish in my tropical tank after climatising over a long period and I've noticed that their colouring is dissapearing to their base colour. Im thinking this has something to do with the warm water and what I wanted to know was if I was to put them back into cold water, would their colour return?

If these fish have been in a pond, they may be stressed by being put into a tank. I know I have never found pond fish cope well being put in a much smaller (compared to a pond) tank. Sounds to me like a dark fish going pale due to stress.

Goldfish do change colour over time. Many are a dark black when young but go to grey as they age (balck widows and clown loaches immediately spring to mind).

I have orange and black fish in my pond. As they age the black slowly disappears until they are all over orange.

Its not stress as they are fine and happy acting like normal goldfish should, this change has only happened over the course of a few weeks, so Im thinking its too fast for the goldfish to be maturing. As for temperture it's not that either as my tank sits at 26 degrees and Pearlscale Goldfish especially like temperature to be warmer than other goldfish do. Thanks for your suggestions but I think I'll have to put one back into cold water and see what happens as far as colouration goes.

This is a picture of 2 of them when I first put them in the tank, I will take another one tomorrow so you can see what i mean.

SmokeyandGump.jpg

I will be interested to see what it looks like now. They look like fish in the middle of changing to me. I have had some take years to change colours and others do it withing the space of a few weeks. Some change colour when very young and others stay the same for years then suddenly change :-?

Thats interesting, it struck me as odd that it just suddenly appeared or should i say dissapear.lol This is a picture of the same pearlscale taken this morning. Her/His name is Smokey. :lol:

The second one is off Pearl, she/he has not changed.

RosieOGradys113.jpg

RosieOGradys110.jpg

Any hints on the sex's would be good I had thought girls but now Im not too sure.

Plain brown is their base colour. The other colours got bred into them. I'd say it is just coming into its colour. I have noticed all this season's fry in my pond are about 2cm long. Most are still brown but at least one I have spotted is half brown half red already. The majority of my fish are red. I do have a couple of large bronze, one orange and white, and two half red half blacks but the amount of black keeps lessening over time.

Another possibility may be your fish died and another family member replaced it so you wouldn't be upset figuring you wouldn't notice it looked different :wink:

Sexing those things can be difficult. When ready to spawn the males develop white spots behind their gill plates. Try looking down on them from above. Males are more streamlined whereas females are a little fatter either one side or the other (due to eggs) so it makes their tails look like they are slightly out of alignment. Easier to see this on comets rather than the short fat varieties.

One of my goldfish, Sam (comet/common still get them mixed up :oops: ) was a very bright orange the first quarter of his body and the tail end, the middle was white. Eventually the orange faded you can still tell where the orange was though. However Beauty (fantail/veiltail, yep still get mixed up :oops: ), whose coloring was similar to Sam when I first got her/him. Now, Beauty is all orange with the exception of some white in her/his fins.

Caper

• 1 month later...