Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

griff

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by griff

  1. I have a 5,500 litre pond with 15-20 goldfish, a few WCMMs and plants. Pond is UV filtered. It has been established for about a year and a half. I didn't realise UV bulb need replacing at intervals to keep pond clear. Clarity has reduced recently, although it is not completely opaque with algae. I have a new bulb on order. Have cleaned filter etc. Have been told by lfs to not feed fish every day, which I have been doing over summer. Lfs say feed once a week to help prevent algae. Will this be okay? Anyone else, with experience of keeping a large outdoor pond with goldfish, have any suggestions? Is once a week okay? I would like to try to develop size of fish over time and also have them in sufficiently robust health to breed. I wonder if once a week is a not sufficient, especially in summer - they seem sooo hungry!! Advice appreciated. Thanks.
  2. gyttja
  3. griff replied to Warren's topic in Fun
    lint
  4. griff replied to Warren's topic in Fun
    soft
  5. thirteenth
  6. nth
  7. griff replied to Warren's topic in Fun
    road...advice???
  8. ctnoid
  9. shrub
  10. griff replied to Warren's topic in Fun
    consiousness
  11. I'm not sure why one would put a cold water goldfish in a tropical tank. The goldfish would like that, would they?
  12. griff replied to Caryl's topic in Coldwater
    I have a 5,500 litre pond, filtered and about 5m long x 2.5 m wide. I put duck weed into a bird bath-type dish that water runs into and then overflows into the main body of the pond. The duckweed is sort of contained in the dish, although some has run into the main pond. Nothing much of the duck weed has got established in the pond and it's been there for a few months now. The duck weed in the dish has completely covered its surface and I think it looks great. It hasn't been a problem in the main body of the pond - maybe the goldfish are eating it, but I hadn't especially noticed that. I was nervous about introducing it, but it has been no problem in the sunny situation my pond is in. I think it adds a natural authenticity to the pond's appearance. Cheers.
  13. griff replied to griff's topic in Coldwater
    Thanks. The pond is around 5,500 litres- 400mm deep and filtered. So far I have some plants, 11 fish that can be easily seen due to thier size, loads of snails and, an as yet, inderminate number of fry, about which i'm very excited!! (I need to work out how to embed a photo of my pond into an email. I had a look but can't see where the guidance notes are for this on the site. Any one know where to look?). Cheers.
  14. griff replied to griff's topic in Coldwater
    Thanks for the compliment, Stella. Most people just think I'm pompous but I think that the Englsih language is just the most marvellous thing?! I guess when the pond has more snails than it can cope with, some kind of balance will occur. Cheers.
  15. griff replied to griff's topic in Coldwater
    Too dark to check just now. I don't remember the scales sticking out but will look tomorrow.
  16. griff posted a topic in Coldwater
    Hello, I know of a goldfish in a pond that is absolutely distended. It is still swimming okay and feeding, but it seriously does not look right. It's not just a little bit fat with eggs - it's really distended! Will it be okay? Is it possible to 'massage' some of the eggs out? It is in a pond with lots of other fish that have been sucessfully breeding. Cheers.
  17. griff posted a topic in Coldwater
    Hello, When I established my pond a few months back, I was given 4 snails. Now I have loads and loads. They are about as big as your fingernail and brown/green in colour. I heard they were good for cleaning algae off surfaces. I don't have a latin name for them, I'm afraid. Recently I noticed that the surface of many plants - underside of leaves and stems - have 'deposits' of clear jelly-like substance with what look like eggs embeded in it. At first I thought they might be goldfish eggs, but then I remembered that goldfish eggs have a dark spot in the centre of them if they are fertile. None of these deposits have a dark spot - they are all clear/transculent. Are these deposits of snail eggs? (I'm going to be over-run if they are!). Does a surfeit of snails in a pond have a deleterious affect? The pond is filtered and about 5,500 litres. I have some goldfish and some plants, all of which seem to be currently thriving - have just noticed my first fry!! Cheers.
  18. griff replied to piggyvir's topic in Coldwater
    I've read suggestions that oxygen weed id good for spawning. I've planted some small pieces in my 5,500 litre, filtered pond but they have failed to grow, although they seem to still be alive. Does it need to be anchored or planted? I can get some more from local water-ways - perhaps I need some bigger pieces to start with? I thought it would grow very easily, and it doesn't seem to have. Having had a number of attractive and expensive plants demolished by the fish, I'm looking for more hardy (and less expensive) alternatives! Is the ideal ph level for most cold water plants around 7 ? Does ph impact significantly on plant growth? Any suggestions? Thanks.
  19. griff replied to yeh_buddy's topic in Coldwater
    can you give a brief description of "pearlscale goldfish", please?
  20. griff replied to sparrowmayhem's topic in Coldwater
    I have a comet that is pale yellow (maybe your idea of 'white') with darker yellow head and upper body either side of the dorsal fin. He's about 70 or 90 mm long. I call him Peach. I'd like to think he was old enough to not change colour on me as he provides a wonderful contrast with my red, orange and bronze comets.
  21. Thanks, Guys. Searching google was obvious, on reflection. Have found loads of info. Cheers.
  22. Hello, I have a 5,500 litre filtered pond with some plants. I initially had 5 comets. One of these comets looked plump with eggs and while there was some interest, from time to time, from the other fish, there was no sustained action and the plump fish remained plump! Yesterday I purchased 6 more comets and this morning the egg-laden fish is being seriously followed about by a team of the new fish. A while ago I read on a forum, details of how to make a spawning medium from plastic bags. I now can't find the details, nor can I remember how to make a spawning medium. I'm not sure if the plants I have are that suitable for spawning. Can anyone direct me to the post on how to create an atrificial spawning medium? Or does anyone know how to make one? I must rush to check the action! Any help is appreciated. Cheers, Griff
  23. Hello Jim, Thanks for the phone message about no meeting in April. I didn't get it until I got back 'cause I didn't clear my messages. Still, I met Dennis who was v. helpful. See you next time I hope. Cheers, Griff / Russell
  24. Actually I'm now not sure that my PH is only 7.8 - That's just as high as the little testing kit goes. I think it could be a lot higher. Is there a testing kit anyone can recommend that gives a more accurate reading? The kit I've used is 'Aqua One' and cost $15.90. I've still got no plants or fish. I want to be sure of the PH before I add fish, in particular. Cheers, Griff.
  25. I have built a new outdoor pond - 5000 litres. It is filtered. It's had water in for six weeks, but no plants or fish yet. I tested water for PH which indicates 7.8. The water from the tap is 7.3. When it rains, water runs over a plastered concrete block wall that forms part of the general pond structure. The plastered wall does not form part of the actual pond. The actual pond has a butynol-type liner. Is it likely that the PH is high due to run-off from wall? Is the PH level at 7.8 too high for goldfish and plants? If the plastered wall is the problem, I can seal it, I guess. Is there a cost-effective way to reduce the PH of a 5000 litre pond? Thanks, Griff.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.