Frogs With Fish...?

Pegasus

Had an enquiry about having frogs with fish.

I know nothing about frogs, but would be interested to know if they expell any toxins, or their waste products could be harmful.

the member said...

the frogs i got are small pinkish in colour with black eyes

Any ideas what these might be..?

Thanks,

Bill.

you'd preferably want fish the same size as the frogs, DEFFINATLY NOT IN SALTY WATER, it will kill them, and generaly the wast of the fogs doesnt harm them, but you would wont like 20 frogs with 20 fish, or you'd have to clean the tank out every few days, as for the frogs ive done a bit of research on them and have never heard of pinky frogs, wer did they come from? what is ther scientific name?

No pink frogs in NZ, that's for sure. Bright colours like that means it was quite probably a dart frog, which you can't get here. Only highly poisonous frogs can afford to be brightly coloured.

Be aware that frogs will eat absolutely anything that will fit even partially inside their mouth. Their strategy is that if it moves, eat it.

Frogs are sensitive to practically every chemical you can imagine. Do not use salt or any form of fertiliser (even buried in the substrate). They must have an area of land or dense floating plants to climb out on and rest.

You need to maintain a high oxygen level in the water. For a full tank, this means aeration. Remember that frogs have no gills as adults and have to breathe through the limited surface area of their skin when underwater.

The frogs shouldn't release any toxins that could hurt the fish. None of the frogs present in NZ have any real poison at all. No threat there.

Alan, frogs can absorb oxygen through their skin. They can stay underwater for quite a long time with that. When they come back up to the surface it's usually more to do with them being very dim than needing oxygen. If you don't move, they don't notice you and come back up because they think the threat has gone. If they get trapped it is still possible for them to drown though since this system isn't very efficient at all.

ACFs are completely aquatic so they don't need places to climb out. Most frogs are semi-aquatic and need to be able to climb out of the water. For tree frogs like mine there must be no deep water at all since they swim quite poorly and can get trapped and drown.

By the way, I believe they have ACFs at the National Aquarium in Napier. You need a license to keep them though.

P.S. It seems kind of stupid to try to smuggle in adult frogs in body cavities! I still woundn't try it myself but I would have thought bringing it in as a bag of frogspawn would be much more successful since more frogs would fit in a limited space, they wouldn't move, and they don't need to breathe.

i think native frogs to NZ dont have a tadpole stage so any frog that goes through a tadpole stage is introduced and considered by DOC to be a pest.

Not 100% sure though, and i dont think there are any frog police out there checking up!

not that it matters if the dude is in another country.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/001 ... -Frogs.asp

quote "

New Zealand's native frogs have several distinctive features, which make them very different from frogs elsewhere in the world:

They have no external eardrum.

They have round (not slit) eyes.

They don't croak regularly like most frogs.

They don't have a tadpole stage. The embryo develops inside an egg, and then hatches as an almost fully-formed frog. The young of most species are cared for by their parents - for example, the male Archey's frog may carry his young offspring around on his back.

"

Amazing, learn something new/interesting everyday.