our new chickens

zachyd

we have just moved to the country as my dad is now a dairy farmer. we got 7 chicks yesterday, they are about 5 days old now & are very cute. i like them alot. the smallest one is about 2 inches tall & the largerst about 3 inches tall. we have 2 brown shavers & 5 orpingtons which will grow quite big. i love living in the country cause we get to have animals that aren't normally in town.

we're planning on doing the same in a few weeks

We're in the middle of Christchurch city but there's nothing that says we can't have as many chickens as we like here - the only thing is that they aren't allowed to mae a lot of noise, hence no roosters!

We are building a coop and run, fully enclosed so the local cats don't get at the inhabitants, and when it is built, we will put a few (3 or 4) 8-week old chickens. That makes them old enough not to need heat-lamps etc. We're also putting a quail or 2 in there.

Loving the idea of having super-fresh free-range eggs available all the time!

We're in the middle of Christchurch city but there's nothing that says we can't have as many chickens as we like here - the only thing is that they aren't allowed to mae a lot of noise, hence no roosters!

We are building a coop and run, fully enclosed so the local cats don't get at the inhabitants, and when it is built, we will put a few (3 or 4) 8-week old chickens. That makes them old enough not to need heat-lamps etc. We're also putting a quail or 2 in there.

when the chickens are bigger the quail may get pecked

I want chooks! :bounce:

Unfortunately we're renting and my partner points out that moving the hens and all their stuff would be a nightmare, as would trying to get around the 'no pets' clauses in a lot of lease agreements. :roll:

In Auckland City you can have a maximum of 4 hens per property but no roosters. One day we will own our own home, then watch out neighbourhood! The chooks will be moving in! :D

best to check with the council, I know that in auckland and Manukau district plans actually state how many chickens you can have and whether or not you are allowed any roosters.

I wanted some chickens for the eggs, but wife didn't like the pooey idea.

when the chickens are bigger the quail may get pecked

Apparently they're fine as long as the chickens are young when the quail is introduced - even better if the chickens are young and the quail is already established.

best to check with the council, I know that in auckland and Manukau district plans actually state how many chickens you can have and whether or not you are allowed any roosters.

I wanted some chickens for the eggs, but wife didn't like the pooey idea.

We're pretty lucky here as far as che council goes - there's no limit to how many chickens you can have, as long as any roosters don't make too much noise (and we're not having any)

...and the poo will be awesome for the garden :lol:

Chook poo is too strong for some plants though isn't it?

I remember when our local scout group used to fundraise by cleaning out the poo from the local chicken farm and selling it in large bags. It was very popular (but not with the boys who had done the shovelling :lol: )

Chook poo is too strong for some plants though isn't it?

I remember when our local scout group used to fundraise by cleaning out the poo from the local chicken farm and selling it in large bags. It was very popular (but not with the boys who had done the shovelling :lol: )

As with other fresh manure, you should add it to your compost and let it rot down before using it on your garden. If you have straw etc on the floor of your chicken coop it's just perfect to add to your compost and you end up with a delicious, nutritious, dark, crumbly, gorgeous compost! mmmmmm sometimes I wish I was a plant! *licks lips* :P

Sounds like you are going to have to start vege gardening too Zach! Not sure whether 7 chooks are enough to help the compost. Perhaps you need more :wink: :lol:

mum & dad plan to have 12, here's a pic of the 7 we have. We have 2 brown shavers & 5 orpingtons.

orpington

P1000133.jpg

play time

P1000136.jpg

snooze time

P1000139.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yes they are cute, although they are much bigger now.we have put them in a cage out side and each arfternoon we take them for an adventure around the garden.we use a broom to gently herd them back in the cage, because they hate it they move very quickly back to the cage

• 1 month later...