Project Lido - the planted aquarium

evil_elmo

Christmas came a day late with a arrive of another tank, this time i wanted a small planted tank for the bedroom

i will let the pictures do most of the talking

26th dec - juwel lido 120

DSC00576.jpg

just after setup - DIY co2 didnt work with my diffuser so it was removed and replaced with a bell diffuser inside the filter

DSC00585.jpg

1 month after setup, algae growing nicely

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00667.jpg

photos taken yesterday about 1 and a half months after setup

DSC00736.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

That does look nice.

Can you show me how to get my tank looking the nice?

My plants are growing well but don't have co2. been reading alot about it though

i've been playing with planted tanks for awhile now and its all about balance; co2, ferts and lighting

cool tank evil_elmo :D

I've got a Lido 120 aswell. It got setup in march(?) and it's planted aswell.

But ofcourse it's not as nice as yours :wink:

thanks, i just love the shape of the lido :oops:

Very nice tanks! Great to see a personal style there, too. I notice you use the sand/substrate and carpet plants to create a lovely undulating base, then only one or two 'hard' landscaping features (rock or wood) to add a focal point. I repeatedly make the mistake of trying to completely obscure the background with tall and/or bushy plants, which then become quite overbearing and crowd the tank.

I also like that you have stuck to only a few varieties of plants and a few varieties of fish in each tank, rather than giving in to 'a little bit of everything'.

Rummy nose tetras are one of my favourite fish, since they tend to school more tightly than most other fish. I'm sure your tanks look even more beautiful when seen animated than they do in these still photos.

Excellent job. :D

Got Discus, I see? Those tanks are awesome

you might say i have a few discus hehehe :lol:

the first time i seen your 5ft tank there was mainly sand covering the bottom then a few months later it looked like the photo the results of co2 are quite unbelievable

co2 does help alot but its all about balance....my 6ft can grow very healthy plants with no co2, ferts and a crappy light, all about the balance

DSCF2251.jpg

Very nice tanks! Great to see a personal style there, too. I notice you use the sand/substrate and carpet plants to create a lovely undulating base, then only one or two 'hard' landscaping features (rock or wood) to add a focal point. I repeatedly make the mistake of trying to completely obscure the background with tall and/or bushy plants, which then become quite overbearing and crowd the tank.

I also like that you have stuck to only a few varieties of plants and a few varieties of fish in each tank, rather than giving in to 'a little bit of everything'.

Rummy nose tetras are one of my favourite fish, since they tend to school more tightly than most other fish. I'm sure your tanks look even more beautiful when seen animated than they do in these still photos.

Excellent job. :D

Thank you for the comments :D

each one of my tanks only last about 6-8months before i get bored and take everything out and start again, so i have played around with alot of different styles. as for the substrate, i find sand alot easier to grow plants than gravel

A few variety of plants looks nice when it covers the tank rather than a messy look when each plant tries to outgrow each other.

For fish i always liked big schools of the same species, looks fantastic when they do school together

i love the photos of the tanks with glosso (sp?) and the grass carpets. wondering can someone have Plecos and have those?? looks amazing i would love a tank planted out like that. amazing.

how do you use Co2? seems hard to me. ive grown plants without co2 but the results from using it are wicked.

what breeds of fish "School"?

thanks heaps

dominique

i love the photos of the tanks with glosso (sp?) and the grass carpets. wondering can someone have Plecos and have those?? looks amazing i would love a tank planted out like that. amazing.

how do you use Co2? seems hard to me. ive grown plants without co2 but the results from using it are wicked.

what breeds of fish "School"?

thanks heaps

dominique

i find pleco are not good for planted tanks as they seem to always up root plants, i use otocinclus instead of plecos

there are two type of co2, pressurized and DIY. pressurized systems are awesome but costly to setup, DIY is only good for a tank up to 100litres or so and also the tank cant have extreme amounts of lighting as it will not have enough co2 for the plants

good schooling fish are rummy nose, bueno aire tetra, glass catfish

Is that an old pic of the 6' or did you put your new red in there??

just an old picture, the 6ft is pretty empty now

Gota link to MFK images of it?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=202270

for some reason my hair grass always dies off, currently i have some very short and sparcly sp. planted. What do i need to do? i think the loaches may be chomping on it but not sure. Great looking tanks dude! when you say balance what would you describe as a winning formula?