NOT AGAIN!!!!(fish deaths)

Dixon1990

If it really was the airline, then your tank was overstocked.

Well, overstocked for life without the aerator, stocked survivably with the airline.

By adding more fish you are choosing to keep the risk of losing fish if anything happens to the aerator.

The temperature probably was an aggravating factor, so if anything happens to the aeration over summer you risk fish death, over winter you might get away with it.

You sure having the high stocking level is worth the risk?

Sorry for your loss, losing fish always hurts :(

If it really was the airline, then your tank was overstocked.

Well, overstocked for life without the aerator, stocked survivably with the airline.

By adding more fish you are choosing to keep the risk of losing fish if anything happens to the aerator.

The temperature probably was an aggravating factor, so if anything happens to the aeration over summer you risk fish death, over winter you might get away with it.

You sure having the high stocking level is worth the risk?

Sorry for your loss, losing fish always hurts :(

Stocking Isn't too high

Anothing thing that wouldnt have helped was that the filter pipes need replacing (they are bending/twisting and slowing down the flow)

And since the fish died i added another 600lph internal filter so thats now 1200lph of internal filtration and 1200 of external, so i doubt this tank is overstocked :-?

Cant find a thermometer :-? lol, Will get one tomorrow

The filtration sorts out the ammonia-nitrogen-nitrate side of things, the surface area and possible agitation does the oxygen levels.

One thing I learned recently which I found quite interesting: an aquarium can't actually be over-filtered biologically. There is only so much ammonia to go around (the amount of course differs tank to tank, season to season etc). The filter provides the media for the bacteria to grow on, but only so many trillions of bacteria can be supported by the bioload of the tank.

So you could have the world's hugest filter on the world's smallest tank, and it would have no more actual biological filtration capacity than a much smaller filter.

Likewise, running two filters on one tank does not mean you can remove one filter and have the other filter immediately pick up 100% of the slack. It would be more like having two filters running at 50% capacity each, then remove one and the sudden excess food (ammonia) causes a bloom of each bacteria in turn, and in a space of time, the filter will wind up being at 100% capacity for the tank.

Now say the removed filter (which was kept alive on another aquarium) is returned. There is now 150% 'capacity' but only enough food for 100%, so 50% of the bacteria starve to death. Their decomposition can cause a further ammonia spike, feeding the remaining bacteria, but eventually it will get back to two filters running at 50% capacity.

(this is all ignoring allowances for different rates of water flow and oxygen, which is so dependent on the setup, and doesn't change the general rule)

I am NOT saying that having excess filtration is a bad thing. Redundancy is better than underfiltration. And is also gives you an emergency backup pre-seeded filter if something goes drastically wrong.

Man, I am exhausted. You wouldn't believe it but I can barely keep my eyes open, my head hurts and I am about to have a nap on the couch! I have to stop finding this stuff interesting.

Overstocking is fine till something goes wrong :roll:

300L and you have fewer fish in there than I do, so i also do not think your tank is over stocked.

i cannot understand how other people are struggling with temperatures soaring... my tank has a lot of lighting, and the heater is always on, but the temp stays at a steady 29.1.

It went up to 30.0 yesterday, but fish were perfectly fine...

Having more filters running on a tank is good on the mechanical filtering part. On the bio part they will perform as Stella said.

Overstocking a tank won't won't kill the fish if you perform more waterchanges. You don't have to cut back on feeding either. All you have to do is waterchanges.

Remember to do more waterchanges :bounce: :bounce:

ron

Stella wrote:

One thing I learned recently which I found quite interesting: an aquarium can't actually be over-filtered biologically. There is only so much ammonia to go around (the amount of course differs tank to tank, season to season etc). The filter provides the media for the bacteria to grow on, but only so many trillions of bacteria can be supported by the bioload of the tank.

So you could have the world's hugest filter on the world's smallest tank, and it would have no more actual biological filtration capacity than a much smaller filter.

Having a bit of trouble trying to figure out what you're saying Stella, now there's a surprise :oops: . First please explain exactly what you mean when you say bioload?

Just as an example, say you have a "small" tank and only 4 fish in it but you have 2 "large" filters running. Does it mean that the 4 fish wouln't produce enough waste to seed both filters?????? That there would NOT be enough waste to have good bacteria in both filters? Heck, sorry not explaining very good :oops:

Caper