worm thing

sas137

does anybody know what this thing is i was just being nosey having a smoke when i saw this thing swimming arround so i thought id catch it and take a couple of photos of it. it has a harliquin look to it when its in the sun out of the water and scaly look and feel it swims from the small end so i take it thats the head end :) anyone know what it is. my wife suggested it was some sort of intestonal worm , i wouldnt have the foggest any suggestions ther are a couple more pics on here. http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/sas137/ P1020703.jpg

yeah, I think gordian worm too.

My dad told me that he saw what looked like a piece of black string at least a foot long swimming through the water. I did a massive google spree and settled on them.

Never seen one myself, very cool (and agreed, disturbing).

According to Bob McDowall ('NZ Freshwater Fishes: A Natural History and Guide'):

Gordian worms are probably common in NZ but rarely seen.

Most are found encysted in the digestive tract and fewer in other organs.

Initial host is possibly an aquatic insect.

One upland bully was examined with an estimated 10,000..........! (you ever seen the average size of a bully?!) It is suggested this fish may have eaten the eggs directly.

Common in common river galaxias (sth island species)

What else did you find on your fish hunt? :)

2-3 groups of inanga not shure what they were exactly, mosqito fish , bullys 1 eel and thats in the middle of the day to.

at night we usually see alot more, i like just looking its quite interesting . there is alot of kura in that streem aswell, but all the streems arround here a quite plentifull in aquatic life. execpt one that has mine tailingsseeping into it. beyound that its ok

welll........................the human would have to eat the stage 1 host, usually an aquatic invertebrate.

It might be possible, I don't know. I doubt it, but maybe some species can. Evolving to live in a critter the same temp as a cold stream is a bit different to inside a 37.5 degree human....