Making rocks aquarium safe

axolotl-danio

• 1 month later...
Would boiling them destroy snails (eggs) and algae? :bounce:

Yep, but be careful boiling stones, they can scrape the bottom of your pots. It's much easier to scrub them then leave them out in the sun to dry. The sun and scraping will kill anything left on them.

Yep, but be careful boiling stones, they can scrape the bottom of your pots. It's much easier to scrub them then leave them out in the sun to dry. The sun and scraping will kill anything left on them.

There have been a few times when my partner has looked into a pot on the stove to see what's for dinner... and discovered "stone soup again!" :lol:

Personally I like to boil rocks and gravel before putting them in my tank. I would much rather do it before they go in, rather than trying to remedy any problems afterwards. Not that I've ever had any problems... or heard of anyone having problems from wild-caught rocks. So maybe I'm just paranoid. :o :roll: :lol:

Hmm, Interesting, all my rocks appear to be ambush predators. :(

You'd better watch out, Ira. Rocks can be very patient. They will lull you into a false sense of security then...

POUNCE!

When you are least expecting it!

:bounce:

sure thing. but how can you ^-2 it?

square second?

Should be ^2, ^-2 is something totally different.

9.8m/s^1 would be just 9.8m/s which is velocity, 9.8m/s^2 is meters per second per second which is a rate of change, AKA acceleration.

Should be ^2, ^-2 is something totally different.

9.8m/s^1 would be just 9.8m/s which is velocity, 9.8m/s^2 is meters per second per second which is a rate of change, AKA acceleration.

Ira it is ^-2 because I wrote it ms^-2 not m/s^2

When a power is taken from the bottom to the top of a fraction or vice versa, it's sign changes. For example, s^-2 means the inverse of s^2 in other words 1/s^2

writing it as m/s^2 is exactly the same as writing it as ms^-2 because it means m.(1/s^2)

I have a feather that accelerates at the same rate. It's for sale and i'm open to offers :D

Your feather may accellerate at the same rate but it's terminal velocity is much slower than that of a wild-caught rock :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to deviate the conversation away from physics and unprovoked rock attacks :lol:

I just wanted to ask people about the rocks I just picked up from Motunau on the way home from Blenheim to Christchurch. There are two types - the first looks like limestone that has been rounded by the river/sea. The second is some kind sedimentary rock that has holes all through it. From what I understand, those holes are from shells in the rock, which disappears over the years leaving only the hole (some 'new' shells have got into the holes)

008.jpg

My Q's are:

1/ Do both of these types look safe? I figure both limestone and sea shells would add hardness/increase pH.

2/ Will I need to soak these a number of times to remove any salt? Should I pick out any shells in amongst the holes?

I was just gonna give them a quick hot bath, followed by a cold water blast/scrub... but figure its much better to be safe and ask on here than be sorry!

Safe yes but the white ones are limestone and will raise the pH a bit. I had some of those east coast limestone rocks in my African tank. Didn't raise the pH as much as I expected though! Went to about 7.4 - 7.6 max

The holey ones will need a good rinsing to get everything out of the holes. Rocks do not absorb salt so it just needs to be rinsed off.

I've got a malawi tank, so I don't mind if the limestone puts up the ph :) I just tried one in the the tank with my araganoite sand - although it looks 'natural' (makes sense that white rocks makes white sand!) it just looks boring. I may just use the holy rocks with only a couple of rounded bits of limestone.

Off topic for a second, I took a look at a pet shop in blenheim yesterday. It was pretty big and had quite a decent selection of fish, but I was a little shocked to see they are knowingly selling hybrids and putting several species of peacocks in together. Hmm.