breeding glolights

diver21

Im looking at giving a go at breeding glolights, i currently have them in a 2ft tank with a male and female, javamoss , an artificial spawning mop and a mature bubble filter with some fresh peat moss added to it, just wondering if you guys have any tips to get them breeding, the tank is also covered in cardboard to block the light.

Im sure there are lots of different ways of doing it but my way is like this.

This works for most tetras, dainos and barbs. (barbs just require larger tanks)

I split the males and females up into tanks about 250cube.

Feed them up on good food such as white worm, BS, flake etc.

When the females look nice and fat - after about 3- 5 days depending on age i move them into a breeding tank.

Just net stright into the breeding tank, the shock helps with the breeding.

The breeding tanks i use are 300 x 150 x 150mm wit a layer of 1.5mm mesh (mitre 10), mesh should be put in so fish can't get under.

I get water from a drum that has a pump pushing water thru a stocking of peat. Water should be nice and brown or rich tea color.

Water about 60 - 70mm high.

A small clump of moss is added.

I add the fish just about 1hr before lights out,

The next morning there should be a nice layer of eggs, if not wait another 24hrs. If still no eggs put the pair back into the original tank and feed up again.

You don't have to split the fish up you could just pull the right out of a display tank into the breeding tank.

Once the you see eggs take adults out and mesh and wait. So species do need darker conditions to hatch, bit of newspaper or poly works well.

For some species i also add a drop of meth blue.

yip one pair is fine..give it a try! glowlights breed nice and easy i'm amazed more people don't do it.

and yip i'd black the tank out i just cover with a few towels

once you have eggs, leave for 4-5 days this is when the egg sack is used up, they will be free-swimming, and you can begin feeding them greenwater, then microworm/baby brine shrimp, then baby daphnia/mossie larvae, then crushed flake etc

well theyve been in there for 2 days now, the females is still fat, what am i looking for with regards to the eggs,? and ive got 2 females and one male, and only 1 of each in the breeding tank, the peat hasnt seemed to change the colour of the water at all though... so im gonna take them out and put them back into the display tank, and put the peat into a power filter.

ill try post a photo later to show how the tank is set up.

You are wanting a bit of a shock to induce spawning, so by keeping them in fresh and then flicking them to peated water can work.

My peated water is at least a week old, i just keep filling the drum as needed.

You are looking for eggs the size of a pin head, maybe a bit bigger, should be clear looking.

so im gonna take them out and put them back into the display tank, and put the peat into a power filter.

ill try post a photo later to show how the tank is set up.

seperate them dude. for 2 weeks condition up. one pair is fine. you could od 1m/2f but the other f may eat the eggs while the other 2 do their "barrel rolls" that occurs during their spawning. put them together in afternoon, they will almost certainly breed in the morning with peat in the water. it should turn the water a nice muddy brown. yes it lowers pH and hardness, perfect. i got a big yellow bag of "hauraki peat" from palmers just check no fertilisers added

well theyr still seperated at the moment eating lots of frozen brineshrimp, bloodworms and daphnia, will be putting them back into the breeding tank either tonite or tomorrow. which method is recomended? the metal plate with nothing in it or the tank full of plants?

do you mean fern or moss? well i put them in on friday nite and either im blind and cant see the eggs or they didnt do it. tank had a fair bit of java moss and ambulia in it for them to spawn in. might try the method of having a bear tank with the mesh in the bottom, anyone got a photo of the sort of eggs i should be expecting?

Hi diver21

I used to breed these little guys years ago, they are very easy with the right conditions.

The adults condition easily on bbs or Decap.

Water should be rain water, Ideally a little cooler then the tank they cam from, peat is not required for these guy's but can't hurt to have it.

Cooler water when the fish go in, it doesn't matter if it warms up a little over night - cool simulates rain.

Ideally the water you condition them in is not rain water, the change helps trigger spawning .

Introduce fish to tank as TM said.

I used spawning mops (3 big mops ), spawning moss is good too.

Tank should be dark but does not have to be blacked out as their eggs are not so light sensitive as neons or cardinals.

You want need a spawning trap of any kind if you are home the next morning, fish will need removing by around 10am.

You can clearly see the eggs

The female will thin out

The fish do a barrel role as they spawn releasing the eggs at 75deg spraying the eggs into the mops/moss.

I think that's about it.

Forgot to mention the fry get very hungry for food @ 1 - 1.25cm +, if you don't feed them enough they will fin nip each other making them look ugly.

I tried catching the rain water here in blenheim but was so acidic it was off my ph test set chart (live next to an airport). How was the tank set up? bare bottom and mops and with/without a bubble filter on low? also what was the first foods you used for the fry? have got bbs and baby daphnia at the moment, worth getting some microworms?

If you can't use rain water do you know some one with an RO unit( for marine tank) or you could let a lot of peat sit a bucket of tap water for 2 + weeks.( you will only need to 1/2 fill a 300mm high tank).

Tetras do not need high O2 so very light bubbles is ok, I would recommend a sponge filter to be put in the tank so it can grow as the fry do. But it's not needed.

Yes the tank was bare bottom, painted black on 3 sides and bottom to help keep the fish calm.

And mops.

Most small tetras have large mouths, black neons, neon's, cardinals, glowlights and others WILL take NEW HATCHED bbs as soon as they are free swimming.

I would feed them bbs 2 or 3 times a day if you can(at least twice morning and night) + feed micro worm milk(liquid from the top of a culture containing yeast and baby micro worms) soon after so when your not home during the day they can still feed.

They should be coloured and 1cm long from tip to tail in around 1 month.

cheers, ive got a large container full of water with a large pump full of peat going for the last 3 days, i could get some river water from the wairau if that will help, which looks nice and clean but dont want to introduce any foreign bacteria or diseases.

i think my next try with these guys will be on friday that way i will be home at 10,

Cheers

its on a town supply but unshure which, im in woodbourne which is between renwick and blenheim, and according to this site its sourced from a well and either ph correction tested or chlorinated, but i dont think its chlorinated as the water never smels chlorinated, and i notice the chlorine smell in the drinking water in auckland.

http://www.marlborough.govt.nz/utilitie ... ater#water