breeding glolights

diver21

• 2 weeks later...

no, no luck yet. i went to the LFS to get a GH test kit but they had none, so i got this thing called a 'water softner pillow'. i got a 20l container and filled it with tap water and had a large pump in it with only a bag of peat and this pillow in there. a week later after feeding the glowlights up on daphnia brine shrimp and bloodworms i put two into a tank that has a mesh covering the bottom, a ball of java moss and a spawning mop made from black wool, temp at 28 deg. their conditioning was seperate and at 26 deg. netted them one at a time getting the fattest female and brightest male and just put them into the tank. they got put in last night and when i checked thismorning at 9 and 11 there wasnt any eggs. dont know what else to try next, was looking forward to a nice big school of tetras

yea that was their 3rd try, the first time i didnt have the softner and the mesh down, the second time the mesh was in but i didnt have it set up correctly and i found them under the mesh, and i thought third time was a charm, oh well, might look into an easier tetra like black widow to get into first

ha, hoped a bit too much and now it seems theyre all white. not fertilised or got fungus? some look fluffy but it looks like maybe 1 or 2 might still be clear, but since you said that they should hatch today i will have to have a really close look and see if i see any wrigglers

wow, theres heaps, shining the light from the side really shows them up well. just with the eggs on the bottom that are all white and fungus... should i try take the eggs on the bottom out or will it not foul the water, and if i should take the eggs out how do i do it?

and when should i start doing water changes/adding water

thanks heaps for all your help too caserole

• 2 weeks later...

thought a better do a quick update, can only see a few babies now, about 4. but atlease some are alive! something i will change for next time is having 2 brine shrimp hatcheries going at once so i allways have some available for feeding