Whats the best way of posting tropical plants?

IOU1

Hey guys,

I have a few plants from my tank to send off and I was wondering if anyone knew the best method of sending them? I was thinking overnight courier with them in a ice-cream container or something? Do they need to be fully submerged in water when sending? Do they need any kind of heat source when sending in this weather? Who is the best company to go with and do anyone know roughly how much it would cost?

Cheers :)

Grab a couple of extra bags next time you buy fresh produce from the supermarket. They are perfect.

Add a few mils of water and tie the bag off. Put in small box and post Packet Post with NZ post.about $3-$4 to post.

Thats what I do for my plants I sell on the unmentionable site.

Have been doing it fo a few years now.

Please note. I buy my bags. I DO NOT help myself to the ones at the supermarket. just an idea of where you can get one to send your plants, without buying a whole packet.

It depends on the plant. I send java moss in an envelope. I zip it into a sealable bag first then tape that bag down as an extra security measure. You can squish most of the air out of it, and don't need water. At the other end, the moss perks up once dropped back into water.

Other plants I zip into a sealable bag with a tsp of water then tape the bag down. I then put that in a 2nd bag and seal it the same way (to be sure to be sure). Leave a little air in it so it doesn't squish the leaves. Put into a bubble bag and post.

It depends on the plant. I send java moss in an envelope. I zip it into a sealable bag first then tape that bag down as an extra security measure. You can squish most of the air out of it, and don't need water. At the other end, the moss perks up once dropped back into water.

Other plants I zip into a sealable bag with a tsp of water then tape the bag down. I then put that in a 2nd bag and seal it the same way (to be sure to be sure). Leave a little air in it so it doesn't squish the leaves. Put into a bubble bag and post.

Most plants I have recieved this way end up mush.

I refuse to send plants like this myself as I would not want to take the risk.

I have even received some Anubias cuttings place inside a prepaid courier bag. Thats all. Nothing else.It didnt look good once i received it.

There is also 35 or so large vallisneria that I have to send to the same address. Would I just put them all together in a larger bag with a bit more water or would they be best to go in smaller lots? I've been given $10 for sending them all but happy to bit a bit more out of my own pocket to make sure they all arrive there save... :)

There is also 35 or so large vallisneria that I have to send to the same address. Would I just put them all together in a larger bag with a bit more water or would they be best to go in smaller lots? I've been given $10 for sending them all but happy to bit a bit more out of my own pocket to make sure they all arrive there save... :)

I've had trouble every time I've sent val. It always ends up mush, whether its bagged or inside a plastic container. A lot of it depends on how long it takes I think.