Cloudy water

bulldogod

I did a big water change yesterday because water was cloudy and today its cloudy again??anyone know why this is ???

Is the water greenish cloudy or just cloudy? I got a major greenish cloudy algae bloom when I put a kiwifruit in the tank for my fish to eat. It didn't go away with time & water changes. Blacking out the tank for a couple of days (lights off & a blanket over it) helped clear it up.

Green clody water can be caused by too much nutrient in the water from over-feeding and/or not enough water changes, and of course if the water is warmer than usual it speeds up the process. So my advice...

• Keep up with regular water changes
  • Take care not to over-feed
  • Monitor light levels (eg if tank is near a bright window, close curtains for part of the day)
  • Monitor water temperature
  • Black out tank if necessary
  • As a last resort, use a chemical solution like algae-rid from your lfs

• 1 month later...

Ok, nearly had enough but after trying B clear, Covering tank, huge water changes and finally stripping down whole tank as I wanted to change gravel anyway.Tank is still bit cloudy, Heaps better than what it was, not green anymore and only slighty cloudy but want to clear it up and that B clear hasnt worked.Got a FX5 filter but wondering if something up with that???? Any Ideas?

B clear hasnt worked.

:o:( Thats terrible! that stuff is like magic!

can you post a pic of the tank, id be very interested to see if its like what im imagining it is like... if that makes sense :lol:

is it cloudy murky, or cloudy "I cant see my fish".

tried using fine filter wool?

I always have cloudy water after doing a big water change after medicating the tank. There is not enough good bacteria in your filter to fight the bad bacteria that cause cloudy water. Water change does not work, because you also remove the good bacteria as well as the bad. You need time for the good bacteria to colonise your filter. Just ignore the tank for about a week or so, don't feed the fish, don't prune the plants, and the cloudy water should go away. The trick is not to feed the bad bacteria and get the good bacteria colonised.

If you are impatient, you can used a UV sterilizer. It will clear it in 3 days. I used green killing machine uv sterizer which is reasonable in price. I got mine in Hollywood Fish Farm. This will kill bacteria and free algae floating in the water. You can try Seachem Stability to fast track populating the good bacteria on your filter, although I have not tried this method on cloudy water. I use stability after I clean the filter or add new fish.

This stuff can act in the most bizarre way.

I had cloudy green water from algae a few weeks back, was so cloudy the water was almost opaque but the fish seemed fine, was like it for a week and a half then came home from work one day and the water was crystal clear!

from cloudy to the point of almost being opaque>>>>crystal clear 24 hours later.

Bizzare!

most of the time I have cloudy water is when I feed my bristlenose some courgettes, and also the filter is on the small size to cope with so much waste.

with regards to a UV filter, I don't bother, better to get rid of the source of the problem instead of trying to fix the outcome.