Bizarre telephone calls.....

DonnaM

To cut a long story short.... so far I've had 11 ph calls since getting home from work from people in Hokitika, Greymouth, Ohoka and other West coast spots from lovely people trying to sell me old records and CDs.... I live in CHristchurch! :roll:

Apparently theres an add in the Greymouth newspaper tonite with a LOCAL phone number that starts 7684... and people are ringing it and getting thru to me on 9807... in Christchurch! They don't even know they are making a toll call as are not having to dial the 03 first. :o

After spending 20 mins on 'hold' to telsra-clear and explaining the situation 3 x to the customer service lady, I was put thru to technical support (another 5 mins) and the really helpful person said 'it must be a crossed wire' and they can get a technical person out to look at the problem on...MONDAY! :cry: I guess that means I'll be getting aquainted with all the lovely folks on the coast for 6 days. Mind you the last lady I spoke to was about to ring telecom and tell them she wasn't paying the toll call to Christchurch.....so maybe they'll sort something out at their end. :roll: :roll:

Couldn't do without a phone nowadays....but would prefer to have one that doesn't get random calls from the coast :D:D

And no, I don't want to buy any old records or Cds :D

isn't the whole of the south island 03 code?

haha, play along!

a mates phone number is one number off the local garage. One friday afternoon his phone rang & he answered it, "Hello".

"Is this the Parua Bay garage?" the woman rudely asked.

No he answered politely & she immediately slams the phone down in his ear.

10 seconds later, ring ring ring.

He answers the phone "Parua Bay Garage".

The rude lady asks, "Is my car ready?! It's Mrs Brown!"

He quickly replies, "no, i'm sorry it's not. the mechanic is away & it won't be ready until monday."

she immediately slams the phone down in his ear.

This is a true story & i laugh out loud every time i think about it. :D

either that....

or you could play along! lol

here's some inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

mmmm don't think my phone calls were quite that bizarre!!! :D 8)

Well ,update is I had over 20 calls all up, and 3 different people, (on the coast) rang telecom to complain and so then telecom phoned me. Apparently the number in the advert was being somehow diverted to my old telecom number...and so automatically was being put thru to my new telstraclear number. (I changed years ago!)

Should be resolved by tomorrow lunch time apparently. :roll:

Yes Smidey I think Sth Island is all 03 and the coasters would normally have to dial it to get thru to CHCH, but it was just coming thru when they dialled their local number. :-?

Poor guy missed out on lots of phone calls from people wanting to sell him records!!!! Mind you I've probably saved him money :D :lol:

When we got our current number it had previously belonged to the vet listed first in the phone book. Since farmers, particularly, never updated the phone books in the cow shed/sheep run etc we would get calls in the middle of the night from farmers needing urgent help. They used to be very rude when we informed them the vet had actually left the country over 6 months ago! The number had been out of circulation for that time before being reassigned but farmers just reached for their old book, or their list on the wall :roll:

Our number was also 2 digits reversed from the local fish and chip shop so we would get orders for them too. Occasionally we would play along and tell them it would be on the way shortly (if we didn't like the sound of the person). 8)

Before the STD phone system came in and you had to dial an operator to make a toll call (my age is showing) we would get a lot of calls for the local freezing works as the toll operators would transpose the last two numbers :roll: