Tank build 3 metres x 1.2 x 1.2 - Video added

livingart

I need to build a large tank

about 3 metres x 1.2 x 1.2 metres

glass will probably be too costly so i am looking for alternatives

have looked at the ply and fibreglass ones on MFK

and wondered if a 100mm x 100mm tanalised timber frame with 100mm thick polystyrene inserts covered in fibreglass would work

also looking at 2 glass or acrylic panels for the front, ideas on thickness, height please

any thoughts ideas on this would be appreciated

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Std Annealed Float Glass will need to be 34mm+, acrylic 50mm+ - glass may work out cheaper and will be more robust. Use low-iron glass so it's as clear as the acrylic (adds about 10% to the price).

Toughened Glass will need to be 15mm+, again use low iron. The price usually doubles for toughened glass. Most of the acrylic panels at the National Aquarium are pretty scratched after only 8 years.

Glass also won't flex like acrylic.

Years ago I built a tank 3000 x 950 (viewing window size) using a 19mm front panel (which was a bit thin). It only had a safety factor of 2.2 but worked fine. For public aquariums a minimum safety factor of 3.8 needs to be observed or public liability insurance or general insurance might be voided if the tank should break - and if someone gets hurts... The above panels are calculated with a safety factor of 3.8

This tank is now 8 years old - no leaks or breaks and has been moved a couple of times. It's a steel frame with polyester fibreglass over 38mm ply.

Fibreglass over wooden frame/polystyrene composite works really well. You'll need to use high-density polystyrene though as it's considerably stronger. Also, you'll need polyester resign, not standard epoxy. The older style epoxy reacts with the polystyrene and isn't waterproof (suffers from osmosis). Polyester doesn't react with the poly and is waterproof without sealing. Use a good quality hardwood for the frame. If you want some really good advice on how to make tanks like this I can put you in touch with the guys who made the original National Aquarium tanks - made using fibreglass over a wooden/polystyrene composite. These tanks were still going strong after 25 years.

The only drawback to fibreglass over poly is how fragile the tank bottom and sides are. If you drop a rock or something falls over in the tank it can easily puncture the fibreglass surface. It's easy to patch but something to consider. The tanks are also incredibly light - it only takes 4 people to move a tank this size and it's not a struggle at all...

Depending on where you're going to put the tank you could use ply on 1-3 sides and just have a big viewing window on the front (or both long sides). That would save on the costs a bit.

Although I do like Mystics idea, a big concrete block tank (a-la JohnPTC's arapima tank on MFK) would be fantastic! :P

Fibreglass over wooden frame/polystyrene composite works really well. You'll need to use high-density polystyrene though as it's considerably stronger. Also, you'll need polyester resign, not standard epoxy. The older style epoxy reacts with the polystyrene and isn't waterproof (suffers from osmosis). Polyester doesn't react with the poly and is waterproof without sealing. Use a good quality hardwood for the frame. If you want some really good advice on how to make tanks like this I can put you in touch with the guys who made the original National Aquarium tanks - made using fibreglass over a wooden/polystyrene composite. These tanks were still going strong after 25 years.

if you use a polyester resin it will melt the poly i use epoxy resins for my pools and bodykits as it doesnt distort the poly base and all my pools and bodykits are water proof

If you are making this, could you not put "bracing" down front and use smaller pieces of glass.

Like windows...not as pretty but very strong easier to handle and source and safer?

Just thinking out loud ( not really cause I am in my office alone and talking whilst typing isnt a good look when people walk past, they mutter things like physician heal thy self and its not that hard to tell the patients from the staff...surely)

Anyway....