Photographing fish through glass

Spink

So obviously most people photograph their fish through glass, but I wondered if there was any way to ensure the photos coming out better by changing the glass type and quality?

For example: is 6mm glass better for photographing through than 8mm/10mm?

Is non reflective glass better? That sort of thing.

If there is ANYONE out there who can give me some tips on the glass side of things, that would be great!

Thanx in advance!

Hi Spink. I'm waiting for Barrie to reply to this post :wink: I seem to remember him mentioning in an old thread something about a glass that has less of something in it, Silicon I think. This makes the glass better for photography but weakens it so it's no good for a large tank, so you make a small tank from it and temporarily put in the fish to be photographed.

I don't know anything about the optical qualities of glass.....

but I do most of my photos with the camera right up against the glass. Partly to get close enough to my fish, partly to avoid issues with reflection from the flash.

I suspect non-reflective glass would actually be worse.

One thing I have been wanting to try over summer is a tip I was told by a freshwater photographer friend: Put the camera in a click clack container and submerge it in a stream! Apparently the click clack plastic is very good optically, and your camera is safe from the water.

He does some very awesome shots with the camera half-in/half out of the water, so it shows both levels. Looks very fancy and like it would involve an expensive waterproof camera, but just involves kitchenware! ;)

Not exactly what you were asking though...

When I take my photos, I make sure that the camera can't see the gap between the surface of the water and the light (easy for me I just fill the tank past where the hood starts).

This stop the camera over exposing from the aquarium lights.

I have the room pitch black. so there is no reflection on the glass.

I DONT use the flash, but play around with the auto set white balance function on the camera normally appear as "day light, cloudy, auto etc etc

and if you can control shutter speed, turn it up, this way if the fish moves it wont be blurry.

And if your tank is bright enough turn down the ISO on the camera.

Getting the fish in focus and not blurred is most important, all the colour can be fixed in photoshop :lol:

non refeflect is only 2mm thick

The natural coloue of glass is blue/green depending on where the sand is sorced. this blue green colour is ion in the glass.

You can make a photo tank out of low ion glass which hold the fish to a smaller area therefore makeing focus a lot easier.

Low ion glass is roughly twice the price of normal glass and IS the same strenght.

As for taking photos... I will be good at it one day (says with fingers crossed) but at this stage I dont have the camera or experiance to advise

I currently don't have a good camera of my own, but I have access to my father's one which is relatively good.

The idea behind the question is for more of a smaller species tank type idea, with the front pane of glass made from whatever is best for taking good shots.

So, so far I'm guessing back, bottom and sides can all be normal 6mm glass, but the front would need to be a low ion glass, as clear in colour as possible so as not to distort the actual colour of the fish.

I would have thought non-reflective would be good so as not to have too much background light showing up on the glass when taking the shot, but I'm not sure. can you get a low ion non reflective glass?

I don't think the slight green tinge of the glass is an issue given you're taking the pic through the thinnest direction. You're pretty much worrying about #39 of difficulties with taking pictures of fish. And probably the easiest to correct with photoshop.:)

One thing I have been wanting to try over summer is a tip I was told by a freshwater photographer friend: Put the camera in a click clack container and submerge it in a stream! Apparently the click clack plastic is very good optically, and your camera is safe from the water.

ummm be very careful with the container you use, recently got a contain clamming to be water proof and was in no way water proof. Just a warning.

Spink are you thinking of a phot tank or something a bit larger?

ummm be very careful with the container you use, recently got a contain clamming to be water proof and was in no way water proof. Just a warning.

It is a tall container only partly submerged.... if it had the lid on it would be very difficult to take the photos ;)

I wanted to have a photographic tank made, but now I'm considering a smaller species type tank that can be used for good photos as well - a specific photo tank might sit around for a bit, whereas a species tank with the right specs would get used more, more versatile.

Want a tip from a pro? :wink:

Buy a polarized filter to cut out the reflection and/or glare.

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/polarizer.html

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/polarizers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Polarizer

I shoot wide open but within a good hyperfocal range, use a single diffused flash shooting down through the water with enough output to wipe out any ill colours given off by the fluoros/MH tank light... and of course with a polarized filter to kill the reflections.

Stu :)

I'd flag the polarizer personally, losing 1 1/2 stops outways any advantage the polarizer might add. Flag off the tank to reflections.

Flat sided tanks up to 10mm thick are great, the curved or rounded tanks are obviously going to distort your image.

I endeavour to shoot in a dark room with tank lights on , sit and wait in dark clothing, as I am often shooting plecs and hidey fish.

Colour correction-whether glass or lights are easily sorted.

The most important piece of glass is the lens. Often because of the nature of fish shooting "wide open" is the only choice as this will let you shoot at faster speeds. The optimum optics for most lenses is 2 stops down from wide open, and while many will be using macro lenses, then shooting as closed down as you can will give more depth of field-ie more in focus

Unless you are using almost semi pro 'off camera' flash gear then I think the outcomes aren't as successful.

I also go by the rationale that fish are top lit in nature.

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u3/f ... z/?start=0

While not _entirely_ on topic...

...just bought a new toy. An 8 odd megapixel digital camera with underwater case. A Fujifilm and they're going for a wee bit over $200 at most places. So, will have a bit of a play when I get around to it after Xmas. Will allow photo's while kayaking and snorkling, or in streams. And I'll have a wee bit of a play taking photo's from inside various of my fishtanks... no glare that way, which has always iritated me as I've never found a happy medium between flash with glare and no flash with blur.

Gavin.... :) :)

The best way to do it is have the room darkened, and use a flash on each side of the camera. They need to be timed so they work together at the same time. This way you don't need to worry about being close to the glass, and you'll have enough light to have a fast enough shutter speed that you get the fish still, not moving. It takes a long time to get it set up so you know how to make it work with your tank, but well worth it. I suppose you could do it using lamps also, but a pair of flashes work much better.