Poropanchax Normani

caserole

Formally Aplocheilichthys Normani.

Common name:- Norman's lampeye

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/sp ... me=normani

For the slow these have recently come into the country.

They're not the most attractive species but quit striking due to the intense "lampeye", the pic that comes with the link is accurate.

A few NZKA members have got there hands on these little guys and are breeding them. I collected 6 eggs today.

You may think 6 eggs are not many but if you saw the size of the egg to the fish that produced it your eyes would water, the egg is probably 1-1.5mm in diameter for a 20mm fish.

I have them for now in a bare bottom tank(painted black) with a few 3 week old guppies.

I'm feeding the Lampeye's crumble, a good flake, bbs and de-cap bs.

To get them spawning I use an old killi-keepers trick - you will like it, yes I'm going to tell you, are you ready to receive this special info, ARE YOU SURE YOUR READY.

Ok here I go.....

I placed a spawning mop in the tank. :lol:

I know you say ""what"", But that's all killis need to spawn most times if feed well enough.

You now have all the info you need to spawn these little beauties.

I thought I'd get this thread going so I hope the other members with them can add there experience with there new acquisitions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have in excess of 30 eggs and know there would be more there tonight.

I belive that Stu may not be able to read a tape as I think the eggs are an "eye watering" 2 to 3 mm in dia.

Im feeding BBS and have never seen any other killi attack then as these do.

Im spawning them in Java Moss and picking the eggs to place in a seperate container ready and waiting for them to hatch.

These little fulla's grow very quickly as I only got them last Friday and thought at the time that I only had 1 male and 8 females... withing 3 days I knew I had 4 males and 5 females. The colour of the males has turned a lot more yellow and the finnage is quite flowing.

Ask your local fish shop if they can get them for you and see what happens...For members of the Killi Club, Im sure that we should be able to help out soon once the fry have hatched and grown but I would jump in quick and try to get some of the originals first.

I have 9 tanks empty at the moment but....

I have to pick up a pair of Rachovii (Aqu)

waiting for Normani fry to hatch

and am getting some really special Killis soon

Plus I will have to empty a few more tanks before Christmas as I have a lot to hatch out in January

• 4 weeks later...

That's so cool!

I got some, 3 females and one male, but all the females dies off and I have a solo male left in a tank. if I were rich enough I'd set up another tank and try to breed them in it (once I got more females) but the hubby and power bill dictate I have to get rid of other fish first!

Oh to have more money.....

I had about 20 eggs just before Christmas but only 2 hatched before I had to put them in a tank and hope for the best... cant see any in there but have one fry and about 15 eggs now so will see how I get on...

If they hatch and survive, keep an eye out in the Killi mag... they seem to be slow growers when fry but as I have the single fry in with Clowns and fighting for there existance, its probably not a fair test

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...