YAY OUR COCKATOOS SPAWNED TOO

Dave+Amy

I have found that taking the male( out of site ) away is advisable for no other reason > if feed well she will breed every 2 weeks.

Even if the male appears not to be eating the fry she may.

The female may even bet up the male or the other way around(after 2 week, or if the male has had enough of her bulling ) so a 900mm tank I now think is best even thought I have breed cockatoo's in a 600mm tanks.

If you do remove the male, a week after the eggs are laid is about right > the fry should be free swimming for a day or to by then, earlier if you can do it with out disturbing the female(at night maybe).

They are an easy species to breed and raise if given the right conditions(including tank size).

Best breeding temp is between 24 - 28C, although they can breed in cooler conditions. Any warmer the fish will consume more energy(food) just living, let alone getting the female gravid or growing the fry, the fry should be ready to breed them selves by 3 to 4months

Bilbo, why do you think you will not have a spawning for a while??

Good luck Ryan and Olly

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done guys! That's a beauty coloured male you've got there Ryan! I agree with caserole as far as removing the male and I do it as soon as he is shunned away by the female. Remove the cause of the stress (the male) and plenty of live food, like tubifex and white worms, and the eggs should be safe as Winston Peters in a Labour Gov't! I've had them lay another batch after 10 days on a tubifex twice daily diet.

Great to see everyones success with them!

I have a culture of them growing in a bath tub but I moved it and gave it a bit of a clean and things are a bit slow at the mo! I can usually harvest daily but something is a miss at the moment though the Daphnia are doing well? I know what you mean about dried worms as even my Angels won't touch them .... and that's saying something! :)

That's a bit old school Alanmin :D , tiger worms out of an old fashion compost will taste bad due to the rotting vegetation > so true

But farmed tiger's are only feed what they will eat in one day(half there weight per day) so do not contain the bad compounds you can smell in a rotting heap of grass clippings etc > so not true.

Earth worms are always good value, I found one yesterday in a bucket of gravel I was cleaning and feed it to my adult female SJO, it was gone wick smart.:lol:

Just typical community water conditions average ph etc.. Min tank size for a pair would be 2ft but if you wanted to keep them with other fish id say 3ft min..

My female is guarding wrigglers at the moment in her own tank not many as it looks like alot of the eggs she laid on the bottom of the pot in the gravel weren't fertile.. The male has spawned a few times with another female and I have only ever seen eggs on the roof of the pot so don't think he saw the bottom ones to do his thing.. Heres hoping the wriggers keep going :)

I thought about posting and suggesting a wager there are quite a few of us with fish from the same line probably the same age etc would be interesting..

60L should be fine depending on how compatible the pair are.. I guess they are like people some get on in a small space some like to smash the crap out of each other and might need a bit more room..

My female is in a 30cm cube tank (30ishL) with her eggs at the moment and if anything happens to the babies it will be the tank I add the male to do attempt to breed them again. If you have only the pair and a cycled filter you would only need to do your normal weekly water changes on a 60L tank.