Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Nano reef

Featured Replies

Stability is the key to keeping a marine tank. The smaller the tank the faster water parameters will change, so if your planning on keeping much more than a hardy fish or two and very hardy soft corals a nano will be a lot more difficult than say a 4 foot tank.

  • Replies 59
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 to Suphew.

I've contemplated having a small 50L nano tank. Basic rundown of costs would have it under $1000 for the setup. I'd use a dosing-pump (3L/hour) for auto-topup set on a timer pulling from a 2.25L coke bottle. Use some small T8s (2x Dual T8 30cm tubes) would be more than enough light for a small tank. Small atman pump (400LPH) would create sufficient flow.

Plumbing to a sump with a decent skimmer would be ideal. Again a skimmer for a small tank prob run you from $100-$800 depending on brand.

While not keeping corals, I do keep baby marine fish in small 30L tanks. These tanks are only filled with about 15L of water and have dual T8 only the top. Evaporation is about 1 cup/day.

  • Author

I have decided to do a LOT more reading and saving up before embarking on this. The mere fact that much of this thread is like another language to me signals that I am not ready for this! I think I might like to save up for a Red Sea Max perhaps but for a tank that size I would need to sell up my cichlids and I am in no way ready for that! Thanks so much for all your replies though!

Fish-Unit is selling an RSM in Wellington at the moment. Might be worth dropping him a PM :)

  • Author

Hmm yeah I would love to buy it but it is above my budget at the moment and I don't have the space anywhere where there is a wooden floor, and I am not game to have it on the new carpet (you may have seen my other thread about my carpet being replaced by insurance thanks to a large methylene blue spillage)

Hmm yeah I would love to buy it but it is above my budget at the moment and I don't have the space anywhere where there is a wooden floor, and I am not game to have it on the new carpet (you may have seen my other thread about my carpet being replaced by insurance thanks to a large methylene blue spillage)

You wouldn't use methylene blue in a marine tank :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.