A big lump in the head

piggyvir

Let's see whether this works

I also discovered that there's fungal disease i think, there's like cotton ball on the fin - I don't quite understand the solution that I found on the web, what should I do? I have been changing water everyday now, using melafix and aquarium salt.... In between that, I am trying to pull my gravel from the tank and the water is not crystal clear, but it's not cloudy....

Fungus (Saprolegnia)

Symptoms: Tufts of dirty, cotton-like growth on the skin, can cover large areas of the fish, fish eggs turn white.

Fungal attacks always follow some other health problem like parasitic attack, injury, or bacterial infection. The symptoms are a gray or whitish growth in and on the skin and/or fins of the fish. Eventually, if left untreated, these growths will become cottony looking. The fungus, if left untreated, will eventually eat away on the fish until it finally dies.

After ascertaining the initial cause of the fungus and remedying that, use a solution of phenoxethol at 1% in distilled water. Add 10 ml of this solution per liter of aquarium water. Repeat after a few days if needed, but only once more as three treatments could be dangerous to aquarium inhabitants. If the symptoms are severe the fish can be removed from the aquarium and swabbed with a cloth that has been treated with small amounts of povidone iodine or mercurochrome.

i feel so bad ... perhaps they are stressed because I am trying to get the gravel out????

P1050753.JPG

Good on you for doing some research :)

Something on the head I wouldn't be swabbing with anything. Too close to gills/mouth/eyes/nostrils.

What are you trying to get the gravel out for? Why is this not one afternoon of effort as opposed to taking a number of days and stressing your fish out more?

Fungal infections (particularly saprolegnia) are usually SECONDARY infections. Sap. just affects dead tissue. In the case of injury, there was a big of dead tissue the sap wanted to feed off. In the case of bacterial infection the bacteria created some dead tissue for the sap.

Real sap will NOT spread to living tissue, but follow an underlying bacterial infection if it spreads.

The thing is the sap. is really VISIBLE so it looks like it is the root of the problem.

I have never heard of that med, but I would recommend using something that was both antibacterial AND anti fungal. Someone else might be able to suggest something here...

Congrats on posting your first pic! Welcome to the wonderful world of showing off your fish to people who understand ;)

Thank you. I rushed to the pet shop (animates) and the lady suggested to use Tonic instead of melafix as melafix doesn't kill fungal diseases (?). i don't totally believe her but I think it's not a bad choice given that all things failed now.

The reason I do this gradually because i don't have a 'hospital' set up. I have now bought a glass tank off trademe (25 bucks) and I will probably transport all of my fish there when I take the gravels out...

I want to install an undergravel filter and my parents are strong believer that the gravels are dirty (i did vaccum it) and I should get the gravels out...

My first big tank experience has been tough so far...

Does that thing on his head look like SAP???? it's not as red today after putting more melafix and salt into the tank last night....

update - i bought a tank off trademe just in case I need to isolate some of the fish. The gentlemen said white spot requires light to grow and his recommendation is to cover the tank with a sheet for a week together with the treatment.

I am putting this in trial.... the fish are still swimming at the moment...

emm - just curious - one of the fish keeps on scratching against the gravels. I guess it is sick (pretty obvious) and I am just wondering will the tonic help at all? What kind of disease is it? He has no scale lost so far though (which makes me wonder - my other fishy that don't scratch against gravel lose a few scales but this one doesn't!!)

I don't know the proper term to search on the internet...

I put my perlscale to an isolated tank with tonic because of the white spot. Since then she starts having fin rot and the white spot disappears..

so I put she back to the main tank and the white spot comes back overnight...

i don't know whatelse I can do to help now :( :(:(

For white spot:

-remove any carbon as it will remove the meds

-treat as the directions say

-I don't exactly remember how the treatment I used worked but I do know that you do have to treat the tank for a period of time after the spots are no longer visible on the fish

Caper

• 2 weeks later...