Culturing cockroaches?

Stella

After a recent visit to the Napier Aquarium I got all excited about setting up a locust culture for my kokopu.

Now it is looking like a lot of work....

What about cockroaches? They sound pretty easy and fairly bullet-proof.

Any tips?

What do they require? (I am struggling to find anything very useful on google)

I used to look after them for the lab when I was at school, we just used a fish tank with tight fitting mesh lid. We used to feed tux dog biscuits, dish of water (never saw them drinking but I gues they did) and have corrugated cardboard sheets for them to live in.

Stella;

A hogger is a machine that is used to render (chop up) the left over bits from abbotoirs, and fish and chicken processing plants, so they usually come with a good collection of their own livestock :o

Does anybody know if maggots are safe to feed to fish, that is wild caught maggots??

:bounce:

Stella;

A hogger is a machine that is used to render (chop up) the left over bits from abbotoirs, and fish and chicken processing plants, so they usually come with a good collection of their own livestock :o

Does anybody know if maggots are safe to feed to fish, that is wild caught maggots??

:bounce:

No, they must be domesticated hand reared maggots...:P

I was gonna ask what a hogger is, Tried breeding cockroaches and they all died, I thought they lived thru anything but they didnt live thru my care..

Locusts are easy and my fish love em, they spit out and leave the legs only

Can't cockroaches survive a nuclear fallout? Funny how some people can breed some things but not others!

warmth - 30C

food - cat biscuits anything pref with 30% protein and above (blend into powder :))

water source - veges, sliced carrot, potatoe etc (without it they will die)

bug barriers;

- vaseline :S works but only for nymphs really but theyre the first to escape so all good for them

- silicon spray available from any hardware store, just be care full im heavy handed and have killed a couple of cultures in the past when reaplying the spray - fumes pretty smelly so yea..

or there is fluon adi but only available overseas i think - apparintly this is the stuff for keeping roaches in toe, i havent got around to it but would love to get some bought in at some stage ;)

or come think of it i saw some teflon spaypaint on tm the other week (same stuff as used for non stick frying pans etc, maybe worth a try.

Im using plastic containers with tight plastic clip on lids then ive melted with soldering iron some flyscreen mesh onto lids, also very thin smear of vaseline inside of container as a we safe guard for when opening etc :)

Imo locusts & crickets have an equal work load locusts pit fall been that they need grass. crickets is that they die off really quick if no water source and eat each other if no food lol, roaches less work in the regard they dont need egg trays so no incubation etc they just multiply but these are more prone to escaping.

mealworms maybe ok for your kokopu?

oat bran flakes.

Problem is that you need to start with a large culture of mealworms and feed out less than they are reproducing.

Working on a how to guide now for mealworms for an up coming Aquarium world

ive always thought it was just bran flakes and oats were differant all together :-?

not tht it would matter mealworms breed in most cereal like food anyway but uve gt me thinking now lol.

as for mealworms theres no rule saying you cant have more than one culture ;)

If you really wanted to do some serious volume mealworm breeding you could probably just buy a couple big plastic bins from the warehouse and I've heard livestock supply places should have big bags of oat bran flakes for cheap.

I've heard mealworms do well in sawdust too.:)

Getting more keen on the mealworms. I think I could fit a couple of bins on a shelf above my hot water cylinder. Would keep them warm and dark.

I like the simplicity of bin + bran + mealworms + time = fishfood

No faffing about with cleaning or feeding etc.

Is it ok to do it in a large bin with a LID? Or is airflow better?

Just not wanting adults to escape. (would drilling holes in the lids provide air without letting the adults out? do adults fly?)

And I read years ago about people cutting the heads off them before feeding so they did not eat their eat through the stomachs of the fish :o Is this true?

Easiest would be to cut a hole in the lid and then put some kind of fine mesh over it. Something like windbreak material would be cheap and work well. Then just glue or silicone it over the hole. That's what I did with mine. Worked well...Up until I dropped a container of fish food on the mesh which knocked it loose and down giving a nice ladder to crawl out of...

Wifey was really mad at me by the time the third mealworm beetle was discovered as it walked over her bare feet...

? ok for what?

mealworms dont escape, well mine dont and they are in a series of lidless ice cream containers in my desk drawer (although i am also a bit of a failure when it comes to mealworm farming. gah, i think i have just been harvesting them too much and need to let it recover and get going properly, sigh.

as for them eating their way out of the fishies/ or did you mean roaches? either way my frogs get big roaches and mealworms whole and alive and seem to have no trouble with them so i cant imagine the fishies would be much different.

mealworms are neet coz they keep wriggling after being dropped in the water so sill gather plenty of interest in your tank and vanish rather quickly i would imagine, although i have had them escape into the substrate never to be seen again (prob not an issue for you as they are unlikely to make it to the bottom of the tank) - i found all this when investigating whether my koura was interested in them (so far not really, but maybe some other time)