Brown Ghost fish

phoenix44

I want!!! I have been looking for ages, Any more at the shop you got it from?

well i work at animates in PNth (not sure if im allowed to say that :P) and we had no trouble getting it in, so when i saw him i had to get him. they cost $60 ish i think. so any animates should be able to get one in for you provided they can source it.

_______

I'm keeping him with 2 angels, 2 BGK's, 6Bolivian Rams, 10 Clown Loaches, some south american dwarfs.... fighters...

they seem to be sensitive to water conditions (its a thing with all electric-like fish) but should be good... i think.. haha.

i got a fluval 405 and an eheim 2010 running on a 200 litre, 4 foot tank.

=)

Advice: Don't kill him.

He looks better in your tank than he did at the store. I still think he looks evil though. Evil in a pretty kind of way. =)

Does he get along with the BGK's or does he just ignore them?

lol

ha ha i wont kill him i swear. I still think you should give me Mr. Invisible.

he isn't bothered by the ghosts, and i dont think the new BGK has found the old BGK - all that separates them is the filter. If only i could push them together. maybe ill get more ghosts - like 12 of them. haha

he's not evil! :o ha ha. Rusty likes him any how.

He sure looks different?

What does that mean :oops: phoenix?

Caper

the electric fish need very clear and clean water. the ions in the water also make a difference to how they can emit the electrical pulses. I think poor water conditions (eg. dirty particulate water) hampers their ability to feel their way around their environment. they also use these electrical impulses to find other similar fish, and distinguish between sexes.

It's almost like a SONAR (like in submarines); obstructions in the water bounce back the signal to the transmitter ( the electric organ in the fish). with these fish (like the elephant nose) - the electric organ is toward the back of the fish and the receiver is in the front, so if there are obstructions in the water; the signal doesnt make it to the receiver - and this leads to complete disorientation.

(Imagine walking around in a small space blindfolded and banging into the walls constantly).

secondly if the electrical conductivity in the water is bad then the fish cannot survive as it cant transmit the electricity in the first place. (remember pure water [deionsied] cannot conduct electricity at all).

I once did a science experiment with 12 elephant noses when i was 15 - put them in a tank with the right sort of water for them - hooked up the anode and cathode to a very sensitive speaker which beeped everytime the fish sent a signal. it sounded like morse code. also (though im sure this is not very scientific) i noticed differences in the speed and frequency of beeps in responses to food, other fish and obstacles.

I then proceeded to put the elephant noses in my tank once the experiment was done! lol

ha ha yeah. feels like an eel almost. the 2 ghosts and him eat out of my hand.

the electrical "shock" is far too minute to be felt by us. you can make out the other fish can feel it though cause they dart out of the way when the ghosts touch them.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah... you're telling me! lol... his stomach was completely empty (I usually dissect me fish if they die for a silly reason, or if i haven't explored that species before).

never did see him eat, even when i sat there with a torch in the dark, lol....

so if you ever want one, get the pet shop to prove that the fish eats :o