How much filtering is TOO much filtering?

Romeo

Gidday,

I've just spotted a canister filter on TradeMe, and I thought it might be good for my Koura tank (1 small crayfish in exactly 50 litres of water, 800*30*30). The problem is that it's 600lph, my current filter's 180lph. My current filter seems to get clogged up and slow down after a few weeks.

Would this be totally overkill?

//EDIT: It's also 15w, which seems a little high - would this power usage be noticable on a monthly basis?

76439814_full.jpg

Cheers,

Romeo

its overkill when the livestock are squashed against the side because of the currents

No that just means your fish are weak and need to harden up.

But seriously you can't over filter, it's just the output water blast from your filter you need to worry about. Have a think about the water flow through even a slow flowing local stream, it's tons more than any filter is going to produce.

suphew wrote:

But how can you control the "the output water blast"?

Caper

Just think about where the output is pointing, and where the current will be strongest. You can point the output down-ish, and maybe put a pile of rocks there to break up the current.

Most torpedo-shaped fish handle a strong current really well, it's more the ones with the very fancy fins that might have trouble with it. Just make sure you have some quiet areas in your tank where your slower fish can go to get out of the current and have a rest.

You can also point the spray bar towards the glass.

That's what I do, I always keep at least 2 filters on every tank. I like back up for my back up and I like to do the overkill on the filtration. This however does help when I set up new tanks or am preparing a fry tank and need to cycle quickly

Overkill? Probably.

Going to harm your Koura? No way.

//EDIT: It's also 15w, which seems a little high - would this power usage be noticable on a monthly basis?

It will cost you about 7 cents a day to run, about $2 a month. If your current filter is 7watts, then thats only one dollar a month more.

If you fitted a spray bar it would break up the flow and slow it down a bit, and you could get a nice gentle current from one end of the tank to the other. Koura are happy to live in fairly fast slowing streams, so a bit of current wont bother them.

Ian

Koura are happy to live in fairly fast slowing streams, so a bit of current wont bother them.

It is odd that. They can be found in very fast flowing streams, but in the aquarium are utterly pathetic at coping with current.

Hell, these things can barely cope with *gravity* on a good day :roll:

I wonder if it is more of a microhabitat they inhabit that has a much slower flow, or more protection from the flow (stones and things to hide under) that allows them to live in the fast bits. Maybe they don't actually spend a lot of time in the flow? I don't know. I just know they suck at holding on.

(and these are much stronger flows than your cray could ever be subjected to by a filter)

Hell, these things can barely cope with *gravity* on a good day :roll:

LMAO, so it's not just my cray that's utterly pathetic at climbing on things. It seems the higher it gets, the less stable it is. You should see it climbing on my plants, it's little legs are constantly flailing about trying to regain it's balance!

Some if not all the filters that hang off the back of the tank have a Knob that can control the intake flow

One of mine does, but I have it open all the way.

Caryl wrote:

It is the big external filters that have forceful water return through spray bars and tubes

So aiming these towards the side of the tank cuts down on the "blast" to the fishies but still creates enough water movement??? I've never seen an external filter, can't even buy them here. OH wait now, we are supposed to be getting a Pets Unlimited pet store in December, yah!

Caper