Baby beardies; what size should the be sold?

David R

Just been to check out the new LFS (EDIT WOK) on Lunn Ave (seems how its 5 minutes round the corner from me), and aside from a dismal selection of fish they had a 1 week old beardie for sale. I'm just wondering what people think of this as I know there's a few breeders here and many clued up people. I was under the impression that at that size they're still pretty fragile and in need of regular feedings and stable conditions to survive, and they aren't really ready for sale until they're about 6 weeks old.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic, you can see how tiny it is compared to the Biosuppliers container of fruit flys...

beardie.jpg

I know there's not much you can do about it, I'm just wondering what people think of the store selling them this young, and the breeder supplying them at that size...

IMO, i wouldn't let them go until they are no longer solely reliant on live food or so fragile, 6 weeks sounds about right

others may have a different opinion

got given a blue tongue last year that was anorexic, they had been told that it would survive on bio supplies flies by the shop

yeah right

it is way too young and I said as much last week to someone on here that had bought two probably from the same batch as this one?Even the shop should be asked the question on this I think,without knowing anything else I would suggest a breeder with heaps of eggs hatching and trying to get rid of them ask quick as he/she can.Not a responsible act but one of greed I would say?

I was in the east auckland store over the weekend and spoke with the staff in there about the beardies (same situation as the ones in your photograph). They advised me that the baby beardies were under lock and key. One person had the key and no body else was allowed to even touch them. They were well aware that they were too small to sell and the beardies were only for display at this stage. I know that they were selling beardies previous to this latest lot, but they were much bigger. They were not selling the babies at the East Auckland store.

Has anyone spoken with the staff of the store before naming and shaming them, which is against the FNZAS guidelines? I understand that we need to keep an eye out for animal creulty, but being the owner of a breadie that was said to have been in bad condition in a certain pet store that was named on this forum not so long ago and knowing the full story behind its condition i would hate to point the finger again before knowing the full story. Just my opinion

Has anyone spoken with the staff of the store before naming and shaming them, which is against the FNZAS guidelines?

I wasn't trying to name-and-shame (otherwise I would have mentioned the breeders name too), but saw no reason not to mention the name of the store either. There was a price tag on the cage, and when I was talking to a staff member and the manager of the store neither said anything about it not being for sale yet, despite my mildly-concerned comments regarding its size and age.

Not sure that LFS (Edit Wok) would feel the same if they saw the context in which there name was being used on this forum, as it is at the moment.

Just been to check out the new Lfs (EDIT Wok) on Lunn Ave

Dont get me wrong guys, i agree that they are way too young to be sold, you are right to question the age of these beardies and that is what a forum is about, learning from each other, but until we know the full story it is not fair to name the store. If they are selling them, then i agree, you are completely right to pull them up on it, and let them know that it is unacceptable. I guess different LFS (EDIT Wok) stores have different policies :D:D

Not sure that LFS (Edit Wok) would feel the same if they saw the context in which there name was being used on this forum, as it is at the moment.

It would only be a name-and-shame if they were doing something wrong. If they believe its ethical and safe to be selling 1 week old beardies to the general unassuming public (and marketing themselves as the experts) then they should have done their homework and be confident in what they are doing. I saw the tiny lizard and asked for peoples thoughts on the subject, as I knew the breeder we got ours from (Edit Wok) would not sell them until they were at least 6 weeks old and up to a certain size.

If you re-read my original post you'll see I was very careful with how it was worded, I have not criticised or slandered them (other than on their range of fish, which I make no apology for), I have only stated my feelings on the topic in general and asked for other peoples opinions.

• 1 month later...
I also had similar thoughts, but what can you do really? I'm sure people would be pretty upset if a store/breeder was selling tiny new-born kittens, but I doubt the SPCA would do anything as they don't seem interested unless its got four legs and fur...

i have to disagree we rang the spca on a shop in wellington and they went with some info we gave them and now the shop has started to do things rigth.

we have also been given a 5yr old male that a lady payed a 1000 for just to get him out of a shop he has had a bad start to life as he is calcuim deficient and we had to force feed him but now he hasnt looked back and doing very well

6 weeks is the normal for us to sell them at least you no they are eatin vegs and have a good chance of living

If they're that fragile at under 6 weeks, i agree that they definitely shouldn't be sold to anyone without sufficient experience in their care.

I have no experience with baby beardies - what size are they/should they be at 6-8 weeks, or what length should they be before they are sold?