FNZAS site upgrade - Plant photos wanted

Foxglove

Heres mine - pics not fantastic but the best my camera and I can do -

these are what the plants were sold/given to me as

Echinodorus cordifolius marble queen

marblesword-1.jpg

marblesword2.jpg

marblesword4.jpg

Osiris sword (don't think this is right though)

osirissword.jpg

osirissword2.jpg

Vallisneria sp. 'Contortionist' (sold to me as Java fern!)

val.jpg

Red pine

redpine.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a moot point. Some think it is Mayaca, others that it is Rotala wallichii. I think it is Mayaca as every time I have bought R. wallichii and flowered it the flowers are like R. rotundifolia and I understand R. wallichii flowers are white. I don't grow it so perhaps someone might like to convert some to emersed and flower it.

You grow it in shallow water with good light and let it develop into the emersed form. You then take the emersed growth and put it into water to get it to root then grow it like a potplant until it flowers. The other way is to do what our friend is doing to flower Cryptocoryne species. I don't grow it because it requires more light than I use and probably wouldn't even grow in sunlight without extra lights so most people would not be able to grow it successfully. Emersed plants generally need less light than submersed so it is converting it that is the problem. I can grow glosso and Ludwigia arcuata emersed but not submersed.

my 'red pine' looks nothing like your 'red pine' and is in fact redder than the picture shows. My tank is not highly lit either but the shoots don't come through green and then turn red they come through with the red tinge on them. The plant is extremely slow growing and delicate and the leaves are pretty small.

There is a red and green variety and I think they are both Mayaca (others may not agree) Some green varieties of plants may show some red in good light (see ambulia above) so it is hard to say what you have unless you grow both plants in the same conditions. Although I have not seen it I would suspect that Rotala wallichi would be more like Ludwigia arcuata and be a firmer leaf like other Rotala sp. whereas mayaca is more like a myriophylum with softer leaves.

• 1 month later...

The plant database is a work in progress, and the forum updates have been monopolising our time of late, once the forum changeover has been completed to our satisfaction, we can pay some attention to the main site again.