A survey: How many people's cats use a litter tray?

tinytawnykitten

I am curious about this due to having a family member who is constantly whinging about the price of cat litter. These 2 cats go out whenever they like during the daytime, and at night the cat flap is locked so they can't go out, but regardless of whether they are outside or in, they always come inside to use the little tray. This seems a little mad to me, I always thought litter trays were mostly for kittens, or for cats which never go outside. Am I wrong?

We live on a farm and as soon as our cats were old enough they trays were gone, we live in a small house and couldn't stand the smell, not to mention one of the kittens use to flick kitty litter everywhere.

Our male recently damaged his leg and we had to leave him inside over night so we could get him to the vets in the morning, he was beside himself. He just would not use the tray, poor guy finally had to admit defeat and use it but he definitely wasn't happy about it!

Mine don't use trays, but in saying that that's because they don't get locked up at night - I would love to do that but getting four cats inside at night and keeping them inside without them killing each other and hassling us would be a bit of a mish.

Just stick to what you're doing I reckon - better for the cats and better for the environment ;)

P.S. Animates are having a buy one get one free kitty litter sale this month.

I only use litter trays when they have surgery after kittenhood. But instead of using the kitten litter I get some dirt out of the garden (otherwise they wouldn't know what to do!)

The last time my cats had to use their litter box I found out that he's too big for the one I had :o So i went out in search for a dog or XL cat litter box!

My boss breeds Birmans and they always use litter boxes inside. It often stinks, no matter how assiduously they are cleaned out (probably as there can be anything up to 12 cats and kittens using them).

We never had a litter box for our cat, the first thing she was taught was to go outside to do her business.

My cats just stopped using them when they got to about 6 months.

If I accidentally close the door and they can't get out overnight they either hold on or go in the bath plug hole of all places, which is really clever and then I just turn the tap on and away it goes! lol

In my experience given half the chance, cats will use litter trays over going outside. I've always thought this was perhaps because of laziness or not wanting to go outside because of the weather conditions, generally when its wet/raining/cold.

Perhaps it is just a case of the litter box is where they have been taught to go. Kitty litter is expensive though! Especially when its the fancy stuff thats supposed to absorb smells. Maybe you could try the garden soil option? A lot cheaper than kitty litter.

never had one she was put outside for say 30min or longer after every meal after waking up and before we closed the house up for the night and again every few hours she had a couple accidents but other wise she did well she is three this year so that was many years ago lol

it was the same with the dog there about the same age but the cats older

As soon as I think cats are old enough out goes the litter tray, only comes back when someone is sick. I got given a kitten a few weeks ago that had been taught to go in potting mix (its cheaper than litter and they are too lazy to dig their own dirt). I told them it was the worse thing they could do and they would never be able to stop it going in their plants! I had to try and keep her away from all the house plants. Have since found her a new home where she doesnt have to step foot out the door tray and kitty litter forever.

Both my cats use litterboxes. One is still an indoor kitty, and the big fat boy goes out into the back yard (which is fully fenced and he rarely gets out) as I live on a busy road and don't want them lost, stolen or run over. The big boy now does most of his business outside as he prefers it that way too.

tinytawnykitten, tell your friend to buy the big 20kg bags of pine pellets (that are for pellet fires). They are $14 from the BBQ factory, or wherever else sells them. I get mine from Heatrite. They last for ages (>4 weeks) and crumble to sawdust when pee'd on and smell like pine trees. Cheapest kitty litter to use too 8)

Rozski wrote:

tinytawnykitten, tell your friend to buy the big 20kg bags of pine pellets (that are for pellet fires). They are $14 from the BBQ factory, or wherever else sells them. I get mine from Heatrite. They last for ages (>4 weeks) and crumble to sawdust when pee'd on and smell like pine trees. Cheapest kitty litter to use too

A friend of mine was talking about something one day that "crumbles" when wet but I'll have to ask her again what it was because I thought she said it was some new kind of litter but I could be wrong. It was ages ago she told me about it but if I recall she said that's when you change it, once it's nothing but...ah, crumbs :-? :lol:

So what happens to it when they poop? Does it crumble or are you able to just scoop the poop out...oh my gosh what a topic :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I had Puffball he was an indoor/outdoor cat and he used the litter box as well more so in the winter than the summer.

Tigger & Ginger don't go out so they use the litter boxes.

Caper

i can vote that all the neighbours cats (possibly upto 12 plus cats) use a litter box regularly.

Well at least that is what they all think our property is! :evil:

can barely walk out the front door without getting someones business stuck under a shoe. Not very nice when you have young children who love digging in the garden. :roll: :cry: