Canister filter cleaning

lmsmith

I usually clean out filter media once it slows down, on my big tank 2-3 monthly on the smaller filters 1-2monthly.. In saying that I cleaned them out before I went overseas and im leaving them for 3.5 months and they will be fine. General rule is when the flow starts to decrease clean them out :)

I am also a cheap ass I don't replace the media... If it gets so sad it doesn't fit I pad it out with the cushing stuffing that I use for filter wool alot cheaper than buying the correct pads.

I only clean my Jebo out when the water return drops considerably - once a year or so. Had to do it every 2 or 3 months with the Fluvals and Eheims as they clogged.

I have never changed the media, just rinsed and returned but none of mine have filter wool, just ceramic noodles and sponges.

I would chuck out the filter wool as that clumps quite badly

use sponges instead.

Don't forget to clean the pipes as well as that is the main thing that clogs and reduces flow quite considerably.

I only clean the filters if flow is much reduced.. around once a year

Another trick is to do a water change once a month or so thru the filter.

Drop the inlet end down into the tank and syphon the water the opp way back down thru the filter, give it a bit of a shake at the same time.

From memory eheim suggest this to, great minds and all that :D:D

Another trick is to do a water change once a month or so thru the filter.

Drop the inlet end down into the tank and syphon the water the opp way back down thru the filter, give it a bit of a shake at the same time.

From memory eheim suggest this to, great minds and all that :D:D

Maybe I'm dense - I don't really get what you mean?? It sounds like a good idea, a step by step guide would be great if you can?

Maybe I'm dense - I don't really get what you mean?? It sounds like a good idea, a step by step guide would be great if you can?

Maybe how i have explained it.

Turn filter off at wall.

Push outlet (water in to tank from filter) under the water level in the tank.

Remove outlet with thumb over the end and place into a bucket on the ground.

Take finger off and water should flow/syphon out.

Give filter a bit of a shake at the same time water is flowing out.

If the filter has taps (like the double taps of eheim) this will be easier.

Hope that makes sense

Hmmm, I think the mistake I've been making is to clean the filters too often and neglect the pipes. Usually I just rinse them all really throughly and squish them to get the big gunge out. I've got one filter that no matter how clean it is, it doesn't pump the volume, so I'll have a look at the pipes tonight.

Thanks for all your replies guys!

The bacteria are lodged on the waste and if you clean it off thoroughly you remove most of the bacteria.

So by removing the waste you're removing the bacteria? I wonder just how much you will lose compared to what you'll save by removing the waste altogether. I just cleaned out the two canisters on my heavily stocked 200L tank, the amonia was starting to get up and I suspect it was from the sludge in the Ehiem which looked like it was well over-due a clean. I'll test the water again tonight, and tomorrow to see if its improved or made things worse.

It is the same principle as a sludge digester at the sewage works (except that it is aerobic). The bacteria convert urea to ammonia, ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate but they also need other sources of food which they get from the water column and gunge. The bacteria multiply to a balance with the food available and that is why you get spikes when things get out of balance by adding too many fish to quickly for instance.I think people often forget that it is an organic filter and the physical filtration is realy trapping the food for the bacteria to feast on and multiply.

Wow guys, thanks so much for all this information! I cleaned the pipes in a filter that has been pumping pitifully, and low and behold, now its pumping so much water the fish don't know what to do with themselves!

I thinik I'll start cleaning the pipes everytime the water flow lessens, and if it doesn't help, then do the filter.