Dying duck experience

DonnaM

Driving home from work about midnight and spotted a cat playing with a duck on road...duck was writhing about and turning around unable to fly...horrible...so picked it up and put in back of hatch-back.

Got home and into light and could see blood over back of head and over its back, (and my hands), not a nice sight to see it suffering so badly.

What to do? I couldn't kill it myself...so phoned after hours vet who said bring it down and it would be treated under wildlife or SPCA cost. Vet not far away, so popped it in a box and they took one look and said they'd euthanase it humanely as was in a bad way. I can deal with sick people....but the duck! It was awful to see it in such a bad way and struggling. :( I'm glad it didn't have to suffer for hours more....

I can cope with the idea of people hunting them and stuff, but awful to see it in this situation. I think I'll go and wash my hands again now....

Cats are lovely but can be so cruel. I know its just natural instinct, but...

You did a good thing, what a horrible experience it must have been. Poor duck must have got hit by a car. Its a bad time of year for them, saw at least two that have been hit on my way to work this morning. I even saw a live one wandering across the road, of course I slowed down for it.

I wonder if its because they are weighed down with eggs that they choose to walk rather than fly?

Yes I think the cat probably thought it had got lucky having such a badly injured meal at its disposal....Mind you, If it wasn't for the cat showing up in my headlights I might not have seen the duck lying there as was on opposite side of road to me, so could have driven past....

I feel a whole lot better this morning knowing it didn't suffer any longer. :)

Aww surely not not mummys little precious fluffy wuffy and mr mittens, they're so cute and friendly....

I'll say it again, cats that are allowed to roam are vermin. Dogs aren't allowed to roam, I'm not allowed to keep fresh water stingrays because of the fear that they might "escape" and somehow survive in the wild, any yet it is socially (and legally) acceptable for cats to roam where ever they want regardless of the consequences.

:roll:

well done donnam :hail:

we have to deal with this sort of thing sometimes on a weekly basis

and during spring and summer we deal with the result of young birds being mauled by cats on a daily basis

one lady brought me 8 birds over 2 weeks that her cat had caught

i suggested she bring me the cat once and she would never have to bring me a cat mauled bird again

she has not been back since,

in all that time she never made one donation towards the care of the birds she brought in, just expected us to take care of her problem

Thats a hard one with cats...they naturally roam and cause terrible problems with native birds etc...but also kill rats and mice etc. Bit of a balancing act with cats and certainly one that would be very difficult to resolve with so many differing opinions. I wouldn't want to see cats locked up in a 'cage' all day tho. The duck had definately been hit with something very hard on the back of the head, cat was being naturally curious and pawing at this 'thing' on the road.

I just hoped it was an accidental 'car versus duck' and not 'blunt object weilded by person' versus duck... as was a very specific back of head injury with rest of head, body, legs, wings all seeming to be intact and working, just not able to be co-ordinated due to head injury and significant blood loss. :( I guess there will be plenty more before the spring is over. Interesting comment about egg heavy ducks, would never have thought of that. Also hard to see the 'mate' of a duck hanging around its mates body and then killed itself by a passing car days later too...

Just saw your post livingart, can't believe she kept coming back with no thought to give a donation, or keep her cat locked up at night or something! :x I've reared plenty of ducklings over the years bought in by cat at work or whatever, but struggle a bit with other birds and injuries...probably stems back to that time as a kid I carried a young black-bird inside that had been flapping around on the ground... and then saw the 'MILLIONS' of mites crawling off bird and all over my bare arm and hand...never been quite the same with birds after that :-?

fly spray for the mites :D

back of the head trauma can be a mustelid attack as that is usually their first point of attack

can always tell you have one about when you find a dead guinea pig that has been eaten and it is spread out with only skin feet and bladder left

I remember our guinea pigs being killed by a stoat or weasel when I was a child. They were in a cage out in the back paddock and no chance of escape. As Living Art said, they looked like they had been flattened by a steamroller with just fur and feet left (probably the bladder too but I was young and not looking that closely). :evil: :cry:

Thats a hard one with cats...they naturally roam and cause terrible problems with native birds etc...but also kill rats and mice etc. Bit of a balancing act with cats and certainly one that would be very difficult to resolve with so many differing opinions. I wouldn't want to see cats locked up in a 'cage' all day tho.

Could argue the same with dogs, allowing them to roam would probably help with the rat and feral cat population (not to mention naughty wandering children :lol: ), yet they still must be locked up. No they shouldn't be locked up in a cage all day, but perhaps if their owners had to cat-proof their properties they would have a bit more sympathy for those of us who have to try to keep wandering cats out. In Canada cats must be registered and kept inside at night, and if they're caught outside their owners are fined, and if they're unregistered then they are put down.

Anyway, I didn't mean to turn this into an anti-cat argument, so I'll shut up... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go Donna for helping the poor duck, very difficult to see and do :bow::bow:

David the law about cats isn't everywhere in Canada.

I used to let Puffball out. Growing up people always let their cats out, it wasn't until we had Puffball at the vet one day that we were told that you DON'T have to let cats out which I did not know, actually thought it was wrong to keep them in. Anyway, the 2 cats I have now do not go out.

Caper

Poor duck! Have always had a soft spot for them after my dad rescued a few ducklings that had been orphaned after mum and dad were mauled by a neighbors farm dog. Very cute little fellas, that loved people, they all grew up and are pretty sure that they return here each year to breed.

Just out of interest how do you propose that we cat proof our sections? Cats are amazing climbers, you would have to have a dome that covered your entire house and garden (or entire farm in my case).

Good on you for your good deed, its often assumed by many that it is easier to merely drive past. :hail:

Just out of interest how do you propose that we cat proof our sections? Cats are amazing climbers, you would have to have a dome that covered your entire house and garden (or entire farm in my case).

Now you are aware of our problem, those of us who don't want roaming cats invading our sections, destroying gardens, terrorising birds and other cats, wrecking plastic greenhouse roofs etc.

Its up to you to answer that question, not us... :wink:

I had 3 cats ...Mother, daughter and a 'wild' kitten that my mother cat beat up every time it hissed. After a week she'd completly tamed the wild kitten and allowed it to suckle her along with own kittens she had at the time. My 3 female cats were fixed and lived till 19, 20 and 21 yrs. No doubt in that time they killed many birds, mice and maybe even a rat or two...and annoyed neighbours with toileting in their gardens. :roll: But they were also much loved and affectionate pets who happily travelled in the car and visited disabled people and brought huge pleasure to many. I'm cross neighbours cats killed my 17 beautiful, huge goldfish when I moved the pond to a different part of the garden, but I wouldn't condemn them or their cats for it. I kept my cats inside at night by locking the cat-door. I do wish more people would get their cats fixed to prevent all the unwanted kittens and agree some people could be more responsible with their care, but then thats the same with any animal I guess...ducks included!! :D Watch out for the ducklings... :o Mum, Dad and 15 babies were crossing busy Rd at dusk last week. We managed to 'flash' oncoming traffic to prevent collisions. Thanks to the person who 'flashed' us to warn us first. :bow: fishtv those ducks probably do return every year. I reared a duckling as a teenager and she returned for many years, even bringing hubby and then hatching a clutch of ducklings in the garden. Used to respond to her name..very cool :D

Our neibour use to feed the ducks. The smell was really bad as we live in standard 1/5th acre sections which is the area of most sections in citys about 30 years ago. One day the noise was really bad so we counted the ducks on the back yard and it was 289. That did not include the front lawn. Sorry but ducks dont do anything for me. Ducks are disease ridden and a pain in the rear end when people feed them.

On Cats, My wife releases white doves at weddings, she was the first in NZ doing it (www.weddingwings.co.nz). Her biggest problem is other peoples cats. They come over and catch and kill her doves. The doves are locked away but you need to let them out to excersize and they atre out when they return home. They do not sit on roofs but cats stalk them and kill them. Why are other peoples cats our problem?

Unfortunatly, people dont take responsbilty for their pets and even feeding ducks and the like can pose big problems for other people