Cost of repairing vs replacing tank

lmsmith

I have a standard 3ft tank with a crack down the long pane. It's been sitting empty in my driveway, and I'd like to get it back up and running, but I'm not sure if I'll be better off taking out the pane and replacing it, or just cutting my losses and finding a new tank.

How much does will it cost to replace the glass? I can fit it myself, but don't want to cut it. So, what's the going rate of a 3ft piece of glass?

ring a local glass company and ask how much for a sheet of glass the size you need, dont forget about the thickness.

Lots of places charge different prices for glass

awhile ago when i wanted to get some glass cut i rung a few places and it was for a few bits but the price difference was amazing. the cheapest was $45 compared to $82 :o:o:o

But depending on the size it should be about $10

depending on size a piece of 6mm 900 x 400 has a retail of over $60 but as Cic has mentioned, phone around and see if there is either 2nd hand or see what a few companies charge

My own company would charge $40 as our retail for new glass in 6mm

Give Pete at Port Nick Glass a call, he is in Petone and makes a lot of the tanks in the lower North Island. The going rate was about $1 per liter, but I'm not sure if this is still how he works out his prices. He collects a lot of secondhand glass so is likely to be the cheapest if you decide to get the tank repaired.

Animates - give them a call :wink:

:evil: :evil: :evil: grrrrrr... still dont like thier attitude when i went in there the other day, still no proper idea of what they are doing...

honestly, what laws are there governing animal abuse in relation to fish? are there any at all?? sorry to go off topic, just irks me....

Give Pete at Port Nick Glass a call, he is in Petone and makes a lot of the tanks in the lower North Island. The going rate was about $1 per liter, but I'm not sure if this is still how he works out his prices. He collects a lot of secondhand glass so is likely to be the cheapest if you decide to get the tank repaired.

Peter at Port Nicholsons can repair and build new tanks - listed in the yellow pages - talk to him as sometimes it is better and easier to get a new than replace/repair an old one.

Awesome, In that case, how much am I looking at for a 100L tank? Does anyone know of somewhere in Wellington that has good, cheap tanks?

Why post if your not going to read the replies. :roll:

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was mandatory to check every post every day and reply :o

Thanks for all your responses, guys. Tank has found a new home with someone who will love it and fix it.

Generally it is considered mandatory to read every post that you're replying to. But no matter, this is the internet.

• 1 month later...