recommend tank builder Auckland

firenzenz

Wanting a tank made -AKL, who out there has had one made recently or who would you recommend.

Current tank 1200LX400WX500H in 10mm glass.

Want to keep existing stand.

How much higher can I go without testing tank integrity- 750-800mm?

I want to increase water column for malawi set up

Tall tanks are a pain to maintain, I had one 700 tall and had to use a step ladder to stand on so I could siphon the gravel. Malawis that I have, seem to prefer hanging around the structure in the tank , they dont seem to spend a lot of time near the surface, with no plants tall malawi set ups can look a bit odd if you don't build up structure in the background.IMO

Greg/Tanks2u. 021900727

When he did my 5' he used 12mm instead of 10mm as he could get it cheaper, so if he's still got some of that left you could probably go taller without any extra cost.

I agree, Greg makes a good quality tank. I travelled to Auckland just to pick it up(Well not really, went to visit my old man, but got a tank off greg as he was recommened)

Im very happy, and my mate who is a glazier said he couldnt make one as cheap as he did.I fully recommend his work. :hail::hail::hail::bow::bow:

Ive got Greg making a tank for me at the moment 2500mmx600mmx550mm ,no glazier in nelson wanted to do the job and Greg was very confident he could do it in 12mm with the right bracing he has been building tanks for 10yrs so ill let you know how tank goes but he comes highly recomended by others

Tall tanks are a pain to maintain, I had one 700 tall and had to use a step ladder to stand on so I could siphon the gravel. Malawis that I have, seem to prefer hanging around the structure in the tank , they dont seem to spend a lot of time near the surface, with no plants tall malawi set ups can look a bit odd if you don't build up structure in the background.IMO

yeah you're right that cleaning will be more problematic but I think that will be out weighed by the 120 ltrs more water I'll get, and my hoses and vacs are almost commercial in size length etc.

I did hve a 600ltr malawi set up with a tower of rocks with open water and they'll use the water if it's there. Combo of male peacocks, demasoni, yellows, and a couple of haps.

I've got a heap of coral rock with Java fern and anubias that should soften the look and feel if I build up on side. As for background-probably black

DSC_0098.jpg

yeah you're right that cleaning will be more problematic but I think that will be out weighed by the 120 ltrs more water I'll get,

As just about everyone with a tank too tall for you to reach the bottomwill tell you.

"No. You're wrong."

i have no problem reaching to the bottom of my 700 high tank,

I'm 6'2" and got no time for short arses.

I know no boundaries -, gravel vac is 2'.

I even own kitchen step ladders.

Tank is also in a hallway and not subjected to bright daylight, picking fish who aren't big on the pooer's scale. Two cannister filters, UV, and internal

and bubble waal is 1mtr long.

My tanks/glass are always "half full". :wink:

*thinks of Deuce Bigalow and the fish shop girl catching snails* :lol:

The height of the tank isn't the only thing to consider. 700 high is fine if its only 450 wide, but if its 700 high and 800 wide you will have a very hard time reaching the back unless you can get in behind it.

Personally I prefer wide tanks, but I know they don't suit every situation, like a hallway...