New Filter

Zabman

That I will get a canister is a given.

I was looking for some advise on which one to go for - definately leaning towards eheim or Fluval, but which model would do the best job but not be overkill, I'm sure an FX5 would be to much filtration!

Yeah I think they do to DavidR, we have owned a few brands (Fluval, Jebo, Aqua One) and Eheim have been right up there with quality and power, the filter cranks non stop, can't believe the water it shifts... Aqua One have been great for us for the lower price, however they are not the lowest price on the canister scale.

I have Aquis range on the big 8fter and they are excellent.. however.. if I had extra ping to spend and it wasn't an issue, Eheim would go in my shopping cart before anything else.

They don't work after about 6 months (not as a wet/dry anyway) and you can't get any information from Eheim as they don't answer your emails. All I could find was others whose filter had the same problem as ours but nobody had come up with a fix. It put me off Eheim for life, which is a pity as I believe all their other filters are supposed to be very good.

I've got two tanks that exact size. Both run Jebo 819's and are clean.

FX5 wont' be too much, and you'd be able to get your water purer than a nun.

I've had Fluvals before (e.g. 304 404) and I never found any benefit to it over the Jebo, except they were smaller and pumped less. I haven't owned an Eheim, but don't need to, Jebo does 1200/hr and something like 6 media trays? which come with media in them and pads and bio-foam for like $175. AquaOne CF1200 as Ira mentioned is basically the equivilent for same price range as well.

I'd throw in another vote for Jebo - I run an 819 on a 360L heavily planted tank and it works great. Haven't had any issues with parts etc apart from when I broke the ceramic impellor shaft! but you can get parts!

I've also got a fluval 4 internal running but thats as backup more than anything.

I have a lot of slime sticking around the hose of my aquaone 500. This reduce the water flow by 50% and need to be cleaned every 4-5 weeks. Anyone need to clean theirs every 4-5 weeks??

btw, any good jebo online site in NZ?

We have had Jebo 810, 815 and 819... and yeah good filter but hmmm not as cranking as others, however, more so than Fluval range (excluding FX5)... We passed on our Jebos as found they were the ones we did most maintenance on.