June 26, 200818 yr comment_246246 What killed my betta? On sunday I did a water change and on monday night I noticed that the scales on my male had come up a little bit and what looked white pus or similar was coming out from under the scales and he died later that night. now the female that was in with him is doing the same thing. She is lethargic and hasnt eaten for a couple of days, her scales have just come up a little bit and I can see the white stuff there Can anyone tell me what is wrong and what I can do about it? The LFS gave me some antibiotic but it hasnt had any effect so far and did nothing for the male Report
June 26, 200818 yr Author comment_246253 the male didnt but the female sort of is but not much, not as big as a fish with bloat Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246268 Olly, can you post a pic of the female so we can see her symptoms first hand? Also, what are the water parameters in the tank? Do you have test kits or can you take a sample to the shop for testing? Since the male started getting sick after a water change, I would suggest that you also test a sample of your tap water. In that pic of your male, is that a paua shell in the foreground? If so (and if there are any other shells in the tank) it could be a high pH issue. Good luck with your female. I hope she makes it. Report
June 26, 200818 yr Author comment_246300 Heres a poor photo i cant get a good one She just sits at the top all day You cant properly see the lifted scales but u can see she not happy and and a bit bloated Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246345 Try adding 1grm rock salt per litre of water (assuming that there are no other fish in there and take your plants out first - or move the fish) and see how she gets on. Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246376 Anything that might have fallen into the water? Maybe during the water change? Sometimes chilling water can make thier fins clamp. Thats my 5 cents worth. Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246462 But with bloat don't the scales protrude more?? It looks more like her body itself is just bloated, if you know what I mean; but, then you did say the scales are lifting. Has anyone heard of "white pus" coming out before?? Gee, as 1/2waysgood said, keep us posted and I sure hope she recovers! Caper Report
June 26, 200818 yr comment_246472 Oh poor little fishie She certainly isn't looking in good shape. Report
June 26, 200818 yr Author comment_246489 There has been no change in the female overnight the scales havnt been sticking right out, they are just raised a little bit and there is white mucus under each one. It was much easier to see on the male cos he was dark but i didnt think to take a photo of him before he died Report
June 27, 200818 yr comment_246508 I'm not vet, but my first thoughts are: - run carbon in filter in case a chemical was introduced - do biggest water change you can, using warm water of correct temp + ager - salt bath (I just use lots of table salt in a bucket of water) for 5 minutes (shorter if the fish goes sideways and starts to float) Up to you weither you take my advice or not, I can't guarantee success, but it has worked for me a few times, and failing that it'd be vet treatments (e.g. antibiotics). Report
June 27, 200818 yr Author comment_246519 I'm not vet, but my first thoughts are: - run carbon in filter in case a chemical was introduced - do biggest water change you can, using warm water of correct temp + ager - salt bath (I just use lots of table salt in a bucket of water) for 5 minutes (shorter if the fish goes sideways and starts to float) Up to you weither you take my advice or not, I can't guarantee success, but it has worked for me a few times, and failing that it'd be vet treatments (e.g. antibiotics). they have a filter with carbon already ( the carbon was replaced 2 weeks ago) i have been doing 80% water changes daily since the male got sick i gave her a salt bath on wednesday the LFS gave me furan? and another antibiotic that i cant remember the name of. I have treated her with both, furan first and now the other one she still looks 80% dead Report
June 27, 200818 yr comment_246522 Think they're anti-bacterial, not antibiotics (which are prescription only). Sounds like you've done a good job. As long as your ammonia and nitrite are ok, I can't think of much else that could be done (sorry). Report
June 27, 200818 yr Author comment_246526 I just read the packet and yes you're right they are antibacterial I cant afford a vet lol I'm a vet student (not that they've taught us ANYTHING about fish :roll:) Report
June 27, 200818 yr comment_246532 I thouht carbon will 'remove' the medications? And won't the ab will effect the bacteria culture on your filter. Again, my 5cents worth :roll: Report
June 27, 200818 yr Author comment_246537 Yea i took the filter out to treat her but it had been going for 3 days before treatment so I dont thing it will be a chemical in the water I took a sample in to the petshop and they said there was nothing wrong with the water - pH6.8, no amminia, nitrites, nitrates and everything else was fine too Oh well I guess theres not much else I can do I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if they knew what it was or how to prevent it Thanks for the help Report
June 27, 200818 yr comment_246540 My 2 cents is it may be too late sorry Once I see fish going that bad its usually a good time to euthanise. Report
June 27, 200818 yr Author comment_246551 I'll give it until tonight to improve I agree its probably too late I'm just worried about what killed them and could it harm my other fish Report
June 27, 200818 yr comment_246572 if this is not too late and you only have the fighter in the tank i would add 1grm rock salt available from supermarkets next to the table salt) per litre of water. It won't hurt her but may help. The mucus may be the natural scale protection coming off. Its not dropsy. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.