First look at the new setup

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These anemones are awesome. I got 2 from a local reefer who has been lucky enough to have a few bud off. I've had great success with them and now have 9. The don't grow large (max size about as big as a choc-chip biscut). Stunning to look at. If I can figure a way to detatch them i'd like to spread some around

Ohh. Its splitting now, I have 9. My problem is getting them off the rock as soon as I go near them they shoot back into a hole the size of a pin head!

As soon as I get get some out I will have them for trade.

Pie

PS: Last post, on holiday in 3...2...1....*now*

Well we left for the Ski Field a week ago today, and its good to return home and see everything with the tank is well.

So thats the first test with the new setup, completely un-attended for 1 week. Glass needs a clean, as does the skimmer, otherwise everything is as per normal.

Even noticed a little bit of coral growth :)

Pie

Love the colour of this monti. Interesting that its browner the lower the light. This is the common purple/brown montipora digitata that most of you will have:

pies2108051.jpg

Poor clownfish kicked out of their anemone, they laid eggs about 1 hr afer this photo was taken today:

pie2108051.jpg

pie

• 3 weeks later...

Heya buzy

No I don't think I have taken any pics of it, although their are some hand drawn pics at the start of this thread.

Was it hard to get made? No. I friend and member of our local fish club kindly made it for me. Its basically just a 2m long U shaped piece of steel, with 5 400 watter mounted under it. Very soon i'm going to be fitting some custom reflectors, i'll be sure to post em up.

The best tank ever? *blush*. Not sure about that, there are some great tanks around, but I am happy with it. You will have to come down and visit and check it out for real. I just hope your not dissapointed.

Pie

A few pics for those that may be interested:

Things are growing and taking shape:

pies150905_01.jpg

Same thing from a different angle:

pies150905_02.jpg

Endless supply of clownfish eggs:

pies150905_03.jpg

Long ways down the tank:

pies150905_04.jpg

Long ways down the tank angle 2:

pies150905_05.jpg

Mega purple acro is getting big, hard to take photos because of its position:

pies150905_06.jpg

Collection point for water in Tetahi Bay, AWESOME:

pies150905_08.jpg

Here is craig loading up the back of my wagon:

pies150905_09.jpg

Just love it when the weather is good and the water looks this nice:

pies150905_10.jpg

Otherwise its all business as usual in the tank, moving along nicely.

Pie

and even better to have such a good friend (slave?) to get your water.

Craig is Suphew from this board. He lives a few minutes around the road. We often collect our water and do our changes at the same time. Much easier with 2, and good for when one (normally me) isn't that motivated to do it.

Wellington, why would you want to live anywhere else :)

Pie

IRA - Its an Alvoapora. LPS, not fragable (not really). I suspect its dieing. Had it for about 4 months now, but I don't think its going to be there in 4 months. Related to Goniopora. Difficult to keep coral, some have success with it, but from what I can find, mostly if feeding phyto every day or more.

Just look at the state for that sand Soooooooooooo clean!!!!!!

Photoshop, its actually a covered in cyno timebomb ;)

no wonder your tank does so well!!! just look at the spot you collect from!!! pity it's wellies but...

Yeah good spot, only about 10mins from home. Some say NSW is risky, bah.

agree lots of pro's very few con's - realy only one! LFS do i need to say more?

We are doing OK without one :) Infact I often think it does more good, no impluse buys! One thing Christchurch does have going for it over Wellington - its further away from Auckland ;)

Thanks everyone.

Pie

I wouldn't collect any NSW from Takapuna. You're better off going further over towards Torbay or Rothsay Bay. Less polution. Everyone uses Takapuna for swimming, boat ramp, storm water, etc.

Same as my pics above, boats, fishers, divers and lots of surfers. Its all good :)

Pie