First look at the new setup

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so busy at the moment its hard just finding an hour for the tank.

Just about finished the reefrack system. Need to add one more support and cable tidy it all together, then clip out some bigger holes to improve flow and fish access between the layers.

Note the uprights that provide the feet that hold the sheets of eggcrate are glued to the bottom of the tank. Last time I used a rack I didn't glue them in and regreted it. If rock moves or you knock the feet they can be hard or impossible to get upright. Also the rack moves far less when they are fixed, which will be another hastle out of the way/minimised, rockslides are really frustrating.

This is the right hand side, used to support the 'wall of rock'.

piesreefrack1.jpg

The is the left hand side, much smaller, this is to support the single bommie.

piesreefrack2.jpg

I am keen to get water it, but seems to be very 'one more day', either way this tank will be wet this weekend. Maybee ;)

Got 3 more PVC return pipes to glue, but I have decided to shorten one pipe which is going to be very awkward, so am putting it off a little. also need to quickly wipe down the inside of the tank from dust, plastic particles etc.

Pies

Got enough spare bits to make me a 500X500 reefrack for my sump? hehe, just kidding. Looks good. I think I might slowly be coming around to the reefrack idea, but I don't think there's enough room in my main tank to actually make it work right, Well not without significantly changing the layout.

Still not an in-wall, but still looking way sharp!! Im gonna leave my rock formation on the right side of my tank out til i source two decent pumps for the closed loops. Something like a eheim 1262 or better (better meaning another RELIABLE brand pump such as eheim that does 3,400l/hr or higher). I am seriously considering getting two Iwaki 30RXT's instead as these do 3,600l/hr and are perhaps more reliable - plus the price isnt too bad if bringing in from the US, works out about the same price as two new 1262's locally. From what I've seen, 1262's go for around the $250 each? The 30RXT's should be around NZL$330 each - thats landed and including GST.

But then I also want some streams... damn this is getting expensive! :D

DOC - I sure do remember saying that, why?

Chimera - i'll swap you my IWAKI for your IWAKI (you still have a 40?)? Might be able to work some dollars out depending?

Anyway to change the subject away from Chimeras tank for a minute, whats the verdict on my reef rack?

Pies

Yes a very similar system in the existing tank which worked out very well. The mistakes I made was not glueing the legs to the bottom of the tank. I also made it a little big and it was annoying as I could see the rack from certain angles. I am going to try my best to make it invisitble this time.

It woked perfectly last time, no grunge on the sand bed, fish would hide under there if scared.

Hope this works out :)

Pie

reef rack is looking mint bro. i like the million holes cut in the legs, good thinking! i only did about half a doz, not nearly enough! :cry:

re: iwaki swap, no can do as I sold it to RnB. however, your 30RLT would do a better job than my old 40RXT as the L is pressure rated. the 40RXT would do better at zero head, but you've gotta pump up quite a decent height! :)

The 40RLXT from Marine Depot costs $435 landed (including shipping and GST) Slightly discounted price if I buy two. I've just enquired about a price on two 30RXT's and a comparitive price on two 40RXT's (the circulation pumps, not the pressure rated ones) Will post the price as soon as I get a response.

Organise a discount and throw and Iwaki100 on the list :)

Wouldn't the 40 have been idea for the closed loop as its 0 head?

Lots of holes, lots of time to drill em :) Yeah you need maximum water flow, not point in having the rack then filling the space with solid legs.

I am soooo close to water, scarey :)

Pie

Heya Drifty. The eggcrate is fairly strong but does require some support, which is what the 50mm downpipe 'legs' do. I just added legs until when I put weight onto the crate it doesn't bend so much it can break, the weight should be pretty evenly spread out and once there is water in there the rock weights 'less' too.

I have every confidence its going to be just fine.

Pie

Well got the reef racks all finished. Took much longer than I thought it would but looks good and am very happy with it.

Hooked up my IWAKI pump, with a sticker that says Max Head 13.4 feet. But I couldn't get it to pump water upstairs no matter how hard I tried. :( Not sure what is going on here but one thing for sure, I am going to need a new pumps sooner rather than later :(

I also went out and got some water :) My parents and there dog are staying here at the moment so was a good excuse to head out to the beach with the dog. Water was crystal clear and quite warm (16deg).

So after fluffing around with the Iwaki, I poured it into the tank. Its holding water, YAY!

Went out again this monring. Tank is approx 1/3 full. Enough to fill past the first teir of the reef rack, but below the 2nd. I also threw in about 30 glass shrimps. I figured that they will help with any cycle, and hopefully breed some plankton like food into the tank for when I introduce corals. Many of the shrimp are currently loaded with eggs.

I got my 3foot holding tank of rock upstairs too. So I can finally turn of that tank (yay!). Also chucked its heater into the upstairs tank, so have 2 running now. I suspect there is only 400 litres of water in the tank at the moment, so should be more than enough for this time of year. need to go to the petstore tommorow and get a thermomotor, I can't find any around here ANYWHERE!

So things are really progressing here now, but no return pump is a real headache. I hope to get the Iwaki ordered Monday or Tuesday but it will take weeks for it to arrive I am sure.

Pics comming when I get a chance.

Pie

Steve, if your happy to do that would be great!

Layton - Not much to see downstairs other that whats already been posted + 2 pipes. I am working with Suphew at the moment on the design for the sump room, but having to think about drainige, skimmer placement, if we should move the sink etc. Gonna take a while to know exactly what it is I need. At least its summer so I have a few months to get it sorted before winter. I don't want any more power bills like the ones I had this winter. 4x 300watt heaters running 24/7. Sure my garage was warm...

Heya Warren. Yes its comming along very well and has taken some time but its all starting to shape up nicely. Most of the really hard stuff is done (Except how to life the lights) so its all aquascaping and coral placement for the most part. Then move onto building the sump room when time & money permits.

The tank is now about 1/2 full and looking really good. I have put maybee 40kg of rock in, only bigger pieces, so my 'stand alone' sump and my tank sump are now empty of large pieces. Over the next few days I will work on emptying the frag growout tank of its bigger pieces of rock if I can.

Then its rig up some lights so I can have some coral survive in the big tank and if possible i'd like to empty the whole tank. But this is all relient on me being able to share water between the 2 systems.

I also noticed a few mushrooms on a rock I introduced last night, so I might take it out and leave it on the lawn for a few days in the hope of them dieing. I have tried Kalking them but no joy, they are impossible to kill.

Apstasia. I have no apstasia in my tanks that I know of. And I have EVERY intention of keeping it that way. So I have the rock spaced out at the moment, and will be keeping a watchfull eye on it.

I have got a few majarno anemones (maybee as many as 20 now?) in my frag tank. These things have to go, so it may take longer to empty the frag tank anyway based on how hard it is to kill these damn things.

If I get a chance, I may head out to the ocean again today and get another 200 litres of water to add to the tank. This will be approaching the 'lower' part of my over flow system and just about give me enough water to circulate the system as soon as a pump arrives.

Pie

Hi Pies,

Was talking to a mate today about lifting your lights and he suggested using car electric window motor (s), they are geared down and lowish power requirements. You would just need to get a drum to wind the cable on.

If you want I'll swap your mushie rock for one with nothing much on it, might save me some chopping and glueing!

Hey man. No problems on the mushie rock, i'll get you some mushrooms when I pull apart some of these tanks anyway.

As for the window wiper motor. How would it 'stop' once it had lifted/dropped the lights? Forgive my ignorance I am not very mechnically minded.

Pie

Nah just need the therm so I know what temp the tank is until I get them connected together then the temp controller can take over.

I got cheap glass one from a pet shop.

Briananemone - Quite right, other than being 12V it could work really well. Lets look into it further :)