Can guppies with elongated pelvic fins breed?

Rozski

Saw some gorgeous guppies today, but wouldn't bother getting an actual trio if the male couldn't breed.

He had an elongated fin down below. I am not sure if it was his pelvic fin (as in my thread title) or his actual gonopodium. Am I right in thinking its probably his gonopodium and he would be infertile? He was gorgeous, there were a few males I saw that had elongated fins.

How long are we talking about?

Keri Anne has a lovely swordtail that has a gonopodium that drags past its tail (the shorter part of the tail, not the sword bit) that cannot 'do the deed' - I have offered to 'fix' the problem for her with a scalpel , but she's too squeamish to let me!

mmm, snipping would just be so hard, they are so tiny! Probably end up stabbing him in the stomach with the scissors :o

Hes probably nothing special. Was entirely yellow/gold with an irridescent/pearl leopard pattern which I thought was gorgeous.

I stole a pic from the net and drew in (can you tell? hahaha) his long fin:

Guppy.jpg

Pretty much. Your photos looks like my drawing :wink:

Was just hard to tell as he was at the back of the tank trying his darndest with a missus :lol: So couldn't see if it was a plain tube, or maybe a bit more, but yeah, what else could it be apart from an elongated gonopodium?

They can breed when the elongated anal fin is a hollow tube , and can be cut to the proper length. But if it does not form a hollow tube, it cannot breed. When the elongated gonopodium is cut to a certain length, it heals into a functional one. better to find a female to breed with instead because they carry the genes too.

cesarz, I bought some guppies today. Only males though, as I'm not breeding them anyway. Got 2 of the nice gold leopardy ones, one of which has the long gonopodium.

Photos are up in my planted nano tank thread in the Freshwater section. I like the golds, but partner got to choose some too, hence the random other guppies :wink: