June 11, 200818 yr comment_242329 In my planted killie tank i have some very long stringy green coloured algae all over my plants. any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? Thanks Report
June 11, 200818 yr comment_242352 Stringy algae wont die on Flourish Excel and its not the same as what BK has, hes got blue green algae (more like slime not stringy). AlgaeFix will kill it but your fish would die too. Report
June 11, 200818 yr Author comment_242354 any other way to get rid of it and do you know the name of it thanks Report
June 11, 200818 yr comment_242355 Here is a blog I found interesting on a lot of types of algae. http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/ It may help you some Report
June 11, 200818 yr comment_242356 Sounds like you have hair algae, I used Flourish excel double-dose on it and it killed a few of my discus and didn't even kill the algae, so I personally wouldn't use it. I then used a product called Algaefix and it worked a treat, with no problems at all to the fish. Report
June 11, 200818 yr Author comment_242359 WOW that link is amazing it should be a "sticky" Looks like i have either Hair algae or Staghorn algae or best bet is hair algae though Report
June 11, 200818 yr Author comment_242361 ok i think i have some of that algaefix somewhere what i might do is just catch the fish and put them in a holding tank to be safe (i dont want to loose all my male killies) then treat the tank. should i do a higher dose?? Report
June 11, 200818 yr comment_242363 you could with no fish in there but certainly not with fish in there. your only prob is you'll have algae filaments in the water with the fish so i'd lightly dose their water too. i've had this stuff take over my tank before, awful stuff. algaefix seems to be the best thing out there for it. it made my fish act quite defensive and it says on the back it's known to the state of california to cause cancer. Report
June 11, 200818 yr Author comment_242365 ok i will wear rubber gloves then lol will sort this out tomorrow thanks everyone Report
June 11, 200818 yr comment_242410 if its green stringy algae that floats about while attached to stuff SAE's are the only way ive found to remedy it apart from manually pulling it out, my 200L was basically full of it after light upgrade now its gone with combination of the above two Report
June 12, 200818 yr comment_242463 You did something wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It worked for me really fast. Report
June 13, 200818 yr comment_242901 No I had the same problems... and I double dosed it. In my experience Flourish Excel totally kills BBA but not Hair algae. I was told that it can even make it worse due to adding excess iron... Go figure... I am still trying to get rid of it while dosing excel.. Maybe I can try algae fix with an air pump but I'm wary of this. I figure that if I get my nutrient balance right it will be starved out... Report
June 13, 200818 yr comment_242952 I figure that if I get my nutrient balance right it will be starved out... Thats what i did. remove as much as you can manually to help keeping it from spreading. It eventualy dies off. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.