Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

stringy green coloured algae

Featured Replies

Stringy algae wont die on Flourish Excel and its not the same as what BK has, hes got blue green algae (more like slime not stringy).

AlgaeFix will kill it but your fish would die too.

Sounds like you have hair algae, I used Flourish excel double-dose on it and it killed a few of my discus and didn't even kill the algae, so I personally wouldn't use it. I then used a product called Algaefix and it worked a treat, with no problems at all to the fish.

  • Author

ok i think i have some of that algaefix somewhere

what i might do is just catch the fish and put them in a holding tank to be safe (i dont want to loose all my male killies) then treat the tank.

should i do a higher dose??

you could with no fish in there but certainly not with fish in there. your only prob is you'll have algae filaments in the water with the fish so i'd lightly dose their water too. i've had this stuff take over my tank before, awful stuff. algaefix seems to be the best thing out there for it. it made my fish act quite defensive and it says on the back it's known to the state of california to cause cancer.

No I had the same problems... and I double dosed it. In my experience Flourish Excel totally kills BBA but not Hair algae. I was told that it can even make it worse due to adding excess iron... Go figure...

I am still trying to get rid of it while dosing excel..

Maybe I can try algae fix with an air pump but I'm wary of this. I figure that if I get my nutrient balance right it will be starved out...

I figure that if I get my nutrient balance right it will be starved out...

Thats what i did.

remove as much as you can manually to help keeping it from spreading.

It eventualy dies off.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.