Jumping Neon

Neon

Hi.

I got up this morning and was tidying up the kitchen bench, picked something up and it was a dried-up neon tetra.

I feel so bad for not noticing it had jumped out of the tank :(

On the plus side, on Wednesday I found out that the reason my dwarf flag cichlids had been terrorising the other tank mates was that they had some tiny babies they were protecting. So exciting - my first cichlid fry!

Caryl wrote:

Are the cichlids in the same tank as the neons? Might explain the jump

Suicide or just trying to find a different tank and resulted in death!

Sorry to hear about your neon :( ...Neon, good luck with the babies!

Caper

Hehe :D

I have to say, dried up fish look very sad!

They're actually in different tanks. The neons are in with an apistogramma, BN and gourami. I've had a neon jump out before so maybe it did really have a death wish.

The dwarf flag cichlids are in a slightly bigger tank with a mix of fish. They are cool fish. Much better colours than in the fish shop. I've only had them for about a month so I'm stoked they bred so soon.

Any idea how to look after the fry? Or do I just leave the parents to it?

I have some photos but they're not very good :oops:

If they are good parents Neon, then I would leave them to do the job :D Just watch out if there are others in the tank, would hate the babes to get targeted or mum and dad to stress or start nailing things that come to close... Would love to see some pics, I have some Dwarf Flag Cichlids too, and they are fantastic, and beautiful colouring as you say 8)

They're in a 130L tank with quite a few other fish but seem to be doing okay so far. The female is a dark black/purple colour and keeps chasing away other fish that come too close (without injuring them as far as I can tell)

Do you have pics of yours Afrikan?