Lighting question

tinytawnykitten

At the moment my tank has one light fitting with a flourescent tube mounted in the wooden hood. The bulb says 'Osram L30w/840 cool white lumilux' on it. Of course I haven't a clue what that all means, but I want the tank lighting to look better than it does which is a bit blah...

318663774.jpg

I want it to look vivid like this...

June08-1.jpg

What should I do? Do I take my single light fitting out and buy a new double one with a blue marine and a cool white? I really have NO clue about this sort of stuff but I would love to know what to advertise for as WTB in the Trade and Exchange section! Or should I just buy something at HFF.

The tube you have is only 4000 kelvin colour temperature (the 40 on the end of the 840) you want some with a higher # for a more brilliant blue/white, 65 (6500K) is good for plants, but you can go much higher.

Basically the higher teh colour temp the more blue in the light.

There are loads of threads on here about lighting, look in the technical section :wink:

Yeah it is a hatchet, he seems perfectly happy, but I keep meaning to move him into my community tank, I shall do it right now!

Hatchets like a Ph of around 6 or below dont they?

I thought it lloked like a hatchet, but just didnt think they would live in a African Cochlid tank!

Don't tinytawny, you are only learning, the main thing is, the hatchett is still alive and now happily in your community tank...

And has anyone stopped to ask what tinytawnys ph is at in her african tank... there are rather a few people new to africans or ones that choose not to keep their africans in a high ph...

And has anyone stopped to ask what tinytawnys ph is at in her african tank...

I did!! :P

IMHO as long as its not one extreme or another then most fish will adapt to a wide range of pH. I put a piece of wood in my first community tank and wondered why all my old fish were fine, but the new ones I bought usually died. I got the pH tested and it was off-the-chart yellow, probably somewhere around mid 5's!! I had tetras and cories thriving, as well as an electric yellow and a firemouth!....

You should see if you can get a school in there, it would look really awesome with all those colourful Africans. :D

Sorry I didnt mean to be insulting with my comment.

Oh no I am not at all insulted, just very aware of my shortcomings when it comes to fish! Yes still learning!