all my fish are dead

Loopy

I've just been into the morgue. It is pretty bad. Tank temp is currently 15. We still have a few fighters, platties, danios, widows and 2 cory's.

Shaz just came home from work (shift being 5"25pm - 1am) and she is a mess.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Loopy, about a month or so ago I lost a lot of fish due to a series of power serges (3 in 15 minutes) killing 6 heaters and a LOT of fish. Including all of my Albino guppies. :cry::cry::cry: So I know how heartbreaking it is.

My heart goes out to you. I'm just starting to come back from my losses and have fish breeding again.

(hugs)

Keri Anne

Casper... Juju is fine. I am determined to get stocked up in the near future. Currently doing the count. On a plus though our breeding pair of Whips survived as did basically all the platties but all our veil cross angels perished.

Mr L

ha-ha loop, i wasnt worried about juju, i read you saying that she's in the lounge, glad to hear she's doing well!

but as i said, if you need a hand with anything you just let us know, might be a chance to do a massive clean out of everything?

63 fish have been confirmed dead.

12 angels

9 Bristlenose

14 albino kribs amongst all the other oddballs.

All buried and plenty of tears shed in their memory....

Unbelievably tho..

found 1 skunk loach, the breeding pair of whiptails, and 2 female adult fighters as well as practically ALL the swordtails/platties :roll:

I had a dream about fish last night *wail* *sob*

Thank you everyone for you condolences and support. I think the *outside world* must surely believe i am a nutter for being so upset over the fish. At least you all understand :bow::bow:

I guess it also helped doing the count of bodies and burying them for a bit of closure.

I think we will work on getting our fish room up and running and then start look at stocking it

Like everyone else, so very sorry to hear about this. This might be a silly question but would insurance cover any of the financial loss? Surely fish are part of contents insurance? And it was an accident.

i can only speak for States Policys, but the wording says ,

contents

• any of the following that you own or hire (as long as

you’re legally liable under the hire agreement):

(a) household goods and personal effects,

(b) carpets and floor coverings that are not glued to the

floor,

© watercraft (including their parts and accessories in

them or attached to them),

(d) electric wheelchairs, mobility scooters, domestic garden

appliances, golf carts and children’s motorbikes less

than 50cc and used only off road (including their parts

and accessories),

(e) portable swimming pools and portable spa pools,

(f) parts or accessories of:

(i) watercraft, and

(ii) motor vehicles, motor cycles, motor scooters,

trailers and caravans, and

(iii) aircraft and other aerial devices, that are not in

them or attached to them, and

• wedding or Christmas presents for other people being kept

at the home, and

• contents owned by any of your children that are left with

you while they live outside New Zealand.

It does not include:

• items used at any time for earning income, except for cover

detailed under ‘Home office’ on page 11,

• livestock, domestic pets and other creatures,

• carpets and floor coverings that are glued to the floor,

• motor vehicles, motor cycles, motor scooters, trailers and

caravans and their parts or accessories that are in them or

attached to them,

• aircraft and other aerial devices and their parts or

accessories that are in them or attached to them.

Hi Loopy, Sorry to hear about your losses, anything I can help you replace, just ask.

On a preventative note, this does bring to mind "what could be done to prevent something so simple from happening again, or to anyone else..."

Got me thinking and a little looking through some old notes and books I haven't read in a long while to find a solution... (Was a computer tech years ago when things were actually expensive enough to warrant fixing them rather than throwing them away). I found two...

1. A simple inductive load monitor that clips onto a power cord, if no current flows in the cord for a pre-set time (say 5 mins) an alarm will sound... powered by a 3v lithium cell this thing would run for 5-7 years without battery replacement. Simple but potentially disaster saving.

2. A slightly less simple High Low temperature monitor on each tank. Would have a pre-set range that if exceeded either high or low temp would sound an alarm.. Could also incorporate a high temp cut-off that would fit between the power and the heater so a stuck on heater would be switched off if it went over temp... (and back on once the tank had returned below the max temp set). Effectively eliminating finding boiled fish on your return home from work.

I would expect option one to cost about $10-15 to make, and option 2 a bit more, about $20-25.

Would anyone be interested in such devices if I was to make some, I know I will be making these for myself and installing them in my fish room.

Cheers

Wayne

Sorry to hear the big loss. I lost a small discus 2 months ago and I though that was bad watching it flip around as though its gone mad :-( cant think how bad it would be to walk into a room and not see any filters and heaters and lights going, be like a horror movie.

Option 1 (from wayne) sounds like a great idea, especually combined with a RCD (assuming you guys use them????) for detecting when its triped.

As for making them... be interesting to see how it works? do you know if theres online schematics? Anyone seen these avaliabe from a shop? maybe youc an do a post in the DIY section, could be useful for publishing in that fish mag too (remember seeing a posting a while back for articles)

Any updates loopy?

How you getting on?

Hard to sum up what the situations is like right now in simple terms.

Basically there is a chain of events that need to happen to lead us up to the point of being able to get to work on the fish room. At the moment we are waiting for our builder friend to be able to come do a couple of jobs for us so we can move on the the next step. And of course there is always $$$$ to take into account :roll:

I would love to take up almost everyones offers of fish for restocking(especially since i can only do so much with a bunch of swordtails) and definitely be happy to take anything that anyone has been having trouble finding a home for or doesn't want with the idea that we are thinking of having an open arms approach to unwanted fish.

I would like to take the opposite approach from now on, of instead of being another person who tries to find a home for a fish that i can't accomodate anymore, i would like to accept fish that other people don't want.