Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

One week without light? Or food?

Featured Replies

Hi all

going to australia in July, for 7 days, would my tank be ok without light or food?

or do I need to sort something out?

especially concerned about plants, Java Fern, E. Osiris, some Amazon Swords.

Also concerned about clown loaches and eel, other fish will probably be ok.

cheers

michael

They should be fine.. Im sure you could convince someone you know or someone off here to feed them once in the middle to ease your concern.. If you get someone who knows nothign about fish make sure you leave out enough food for one feeding in a container and hide all the rest of the food so they don't have fun overfeeding your fish!

Get a timer for your lights if your worried about them too :)

at Christmas, we are away for at least 3 weeks and the fish were fed twice in that time... plants, I cant comment on as they are only there for the fish to hide in and act as food if they get really hungry

If the fish are well fed and healthy it won't be a problem. And a timer from Bunnings is only about $7.50.....

I got mine from bunnings for $4 about a week ago

  • Author

how reliable are light timers?

I'm a little concerned they'll malfunction and leave my light on for a week!

Probably best if I get one right now, see how it goes in the next 2 months so I know I can trust it.

We use timers on our tank lights all the time. Never had a problem.

In a well established tank that isn't overstocked the fish will be fine for a week without food.

lol even if the light does stay on for a week it probably wont affect anything, maybe you'll come home to a bit of algae or an overgrown tank but it wont cause too many problems.. Some of the timers crap out, I think the main problems are when you use them in a fishroom with all the humidity etc..

why no light?

for 10 dollars bunnings sell a timer for light.

and for 20 bux, you can get an auto fish feeder

but 7 days shouldnt be a problem so long as you dont have any predators that will eat other fish.

My fish sometimes go without food for 2 weeks with no adverse affects.

I put timers on my lights... makes the house feel occupied as well

how reliable are light timers?

The digital ones are great, I've never had a problem with one yet. They've even got a little battery so they don't lose their settings if the power goes off.

The digital ones are great, I've never had a problem with one yet. They've even got a little battery so they don't lose their settings if the power goes off.

even following the instructions i couldnt work out the digital 1s lol

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.