**Tropheus Moorii**

Johannes Visser

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a short Video Tropheus & Fronts are doing well :bounce: One can see them better this way. We can not wait to get some more varieties. :roll:

Seem you have woken a sleeping Brute with in us Mike :o !

LOL They are so precious, hope we can purchase in larger quantities next time, without Drama. :o

th_Picture114.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The only reason I am posting this is to offer additional information to previous posts on this issue.

I feel I have the right to reply since my e-mail, which I thought was confidential, has been plastered all over this thread. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which business it was coming from.

We are now working under the NZFSA, I can't speak for operators of quarantine facilities in the NI, only from what we experience in the South Island.

Our shipment fees have increased from $300-$400 18 months ago to just under $1000 for our last shipment PLUS over $1600 worth of testing fees. Work that out! From $400 to $2600 in 18mths. Makes even petrol look OK :lol:

How does this affect what we import? losses of over 20% in 5 days require specimens to be sent to Wtn for testing. This is $800 PER SPECIES. If you send your fish off in week 4 (of the 6 week quarantine period) the balance of your fish need to wait until the results are released, worse case senario - fish are in quarantine for 10+ weeks!

Solution - to import the major percentage of your fish from your best source, this may not be from the importer that has all the exotic plecos, cichlids etc but makes sound economic sense from the operators point of view.

The $$$ at the end of the rainbow for importing Tropheus - just doesn't happen. i.e. we requested 10 of each type of Tropheus available on the stock list for our shipment this week. 3 Variaties not sent as exporter felt they were not in the best condition, the one variety we received had 1/2 dead on arrival.

The allure of 1/2 deposit up front would surely only be for live fish at the end of the quarantine period, not paying for fish and freight to get them here. Who pays if they die in quarantine (pretty easy to answer). The last large cichlid shipment we had in - half way through the quarantine period they decided to turn on each other and rip each other up.

I only offer this from an importers point of view. Many things need to be considered when bringing a shipment in.

Surely - The larger importers in the North Island should be able to cope with the NI demands for fish incl exotic's and cichlids.

If not - why not? :roll: Maybe it's to do with some of my comments above.

Those are goods points Debbie and so true. My Brother who imports Marine fish has the same problems so I know where you are coming from.

Its just that We (cichlid lovers :D ) just adore these little creatures so much that we expect Importers to bring in everything or anything we desire.

Hi guys, Im just wondering where are these Trophs coming from. surely Australia is an approved place to import fish, why dont these importers import from here. You can pick up a Duboisi Maswa here for $10 each from a local breeder and other Troph species (Red Moliro, Ikola, Kachese, Golden Kazumba, Pemba etc ) for a bit more. Frontosa Burundi for $10 too, at one stage Im selling them for $8 each. Lots of Juli species and variants too. I bet in Victoria alone, local breeders can satisfy the needs for more exotic fish in NZ.

Hi Ryan,

Sure there will be enough if there will be a market for it, Last week I got some Duboisi Maswa from a breeder and he has about a hundred of them that he is trying to sell, me alone got about 50 of Juli Regani Kachese fry that I will be selling for $5 each when they reach selling size. I know a few of the breeders here that can produce the fry if the demand is there. Tanganyika Shelldwellers, sand sifters, feather fins, Frontosa Moba, Burundi and Kigoma are readily available here from local breeders.