Condensation

skaffen

Hiya

I left the hood on my 440 L tank partially open last night, and there was lots of condensation on the lounge windows this morning (man it was cold last night). How do people with open tanks get on, do your get increased condensation in your homes in winter?

-Si

I have that problem as my planted tanks are open topped.

Condensation is a big problem

I have a DVS system.

Basiclly it is useless and all it does is create cold draughts.

I put a dehumidifier in the room at night on cold night and wipe and open windows in the morning

I believe that so long as i own fish, i will have to live with condensation.

Yeah, I've heard mixed reports on DVS systems. I think it's dependent on your aspect, roof pitch and volume, etc.

It's gonna be cold again tonight so it'll be interesting to see how it goes with the hood closed...

The ventilation systems with heaters will use more power but ultimately will be more effective.

As the principle is that it moves the warm dry air from your ceiling into the rrom to force out the moist air, it will only be of use in the evening in winter if you havea heater attached. if your system does not have one it will turn off once your ceiling temp drops below 7-10 deg, which it will at night in winter.

The ventilation systems with heaters will use more power but ultimately will be more effective.

As the principle is that it moves the warm dry air from your ceiling into the rrom to force out the moist air, it will only be of use in the evening in winter if you havea heater attached. if your system does not have one it will turn off once your ceiling temp drops below 7-10 deg, which it will at night in winter.

I've never found my roof space to be more than a few degrees warmer than it is outside(During the winter). Yay, let's blow cold musty air from the roof into the house. Now, different case during the summer. But then why would you want to blow 50° musty air into your house?

when the outside temp is say 26 degs, how cool is it inside? At my place in summer its a nice cool 18

My house is quite small and single leveled and I only need one outlet but the cost of my heatpump/air con was also $3800 with our weekly power use the same (in winter) as a bottle of gas for the gas heater

If I was to move homes, I would put an air con unit in before I moved in

Warm in winter and cool in summer

DVS system + thousands

a nice tight nig fittin lid, you can even silicone the ends to almost air tighten it, would ecrease this by 90%

also, its beter for fish

cos if water goes, all the nasty stuff stays.... concentration increases, thogh its marginal.

i have mine in the garage, so it doesnt matter if its humid

DVS system + thousands

a nice tight nig fittin lid, you can even silicone the ends to almost air tighten it, would ecrease this by 90%

also, its beter for fish

cos if water goes, all the nasty stuff stays.... concentration increases, thogh its marginal.

i have mine in the garage, so it doesnt matter if its humid

and if you had bad condensation before tanks? :wink:

Condensation? I like my condenstion, it makes me fell like i own fish tanks ;-)

Anyway, I think the tight seal is right, I only started noticing that around the "opened" area where the pipes are going in/out, theres some moisture issues around the hood. I plan to seal around the pipes and see how that goes. Also lookign at putting insulation around the tank wall (ontop of teh pretty backing i have) and also on a large part of the lid where alot of teh heat would escape from (good use of power even if it might not have effect of reducing moisture).