best food for cichlids?

A-town...

What type of cichlids?

Mine get NLS spirilina flake and my homemade frozen food..

I don't cheap normal flake or bloodworms or other really meaty foods it causes bloat and other problems Ive had bloat once when I fed some cheap normal flake and I can tell you when there are plenty of other safer foods out there its not worth the risk to me.

Mine are New World Cichlids and 1 jewel

I feed mine Shrimp once per week

Ox heart once per week

Cichlid sticks every day (the hard type otherwise Oscar makes 1 hell of a mess)

And when I remember/can be bothered I give them some home made frozen food made from veges, prawn bodies (I eat the tails) puréed up and gelatine as a binder.

Mine get JBL Gala flake food, Wardley Cichlid Crumbles, bottom feeder pellets they get to before the loaches and cories and dried bloodworms with occasional frozen blood worms. The only thing I have found that they don't like is tubiflex worms. I used to give them regular shrimp tablets but they got a bit feisty chasing them round the tank, a regular caravan with the lead cichlid with the shrimp tab in his mouth trying to get away from half a dozen pursuers.

Day :D ...............

1) NLS

2) Sea weed

3) Tetra color bits

4) Tetra Cichlids granules

5) Nutrafin Spirulina Or Garlic flakes

6) Shrimp Brine & Mysis as well as Prawns tails Raw chopped

Day 7 (Sunday) they get nothing only feed the Fry :wink:

Meat eaters get meat :roll: vegetarians the veg :roll:

Mubuna get a meat treat one a week. :D

Tropheus get Nutrafin MAX and NLS ONLY :lol:

Bristlenose and GBA get Hikari Algae wafers and cucumber !

Fry get Micro worm or decap brine shrimp and crushed flake :roll:

Yeah I think that would work :) im not game enough to try it though sudden changes in diet or the wrong food can cause bloat and that sucks! lol Id rather eat snapper!

Sounds like you have it sorted Johannes :) People do have to bear in mind what fish they do have and their natural diet, alot of the haps/peacocks are predators and like meaty foods whereas alot of the mbuna, demasoni for example are vegetarian's. Tropheus are another that are known for getting bloat I only had one and he was sweet until I ran out of vege flake fed him normal cheap flake for a few days and he got bloat and died real fast as did some of the mbuna which I managed to save.

As I mix both in the same tank I feed them mainly vege's and the hap's seem to do well but it is probably not ideal.

Yeah I think that would work :) im not game enough to try it though sudden changes in diet or the wrong food can cause bloat and that sucks! lol Id rather eat snapper!

Sounds like you have it sorted Johannes :) People do have to bear in mind what fish they do have and their natural diet, alot of the haps/peacocks are predators and like meaty foods whereas alot of the mbuna, demasoni for example are vegetarian's. Tropheus are another that are known for getting bloat I only had one and he was sweet until I ran out of vege flake fed him normal cheap flake for a few days and he got bloat and died real fast as did some of the mbuna which I managed to save.

As I mix both in the same tank I feed them mainly vege's and the hap's seem to do well but it is probably not ideal.

I will give the snapper a go and see what happens

:wink:

wow sounds good

what is NLS if ya dont mind me asking?

got most foods (quality notcrap stuff) so will just have to sort out a menu for them all :lol:

I have mussels is well would tangs and malawis eat that or likely too bloat up???

thanks

I definately enjoy the fish, It's good to see the fruits of your labour!

I had a heater failure last weekend, consequently my other community tank got overstocked from Sat night onto prob this sat night.

My 130L community tank has currently got....

6 bristle noses

1 Siamese algae eater

1 red spot sailfin pleco

1 male vail tail siamese fighter

2 beonze corries

6 striata loaches

4 large pearl Gourami

5 blue dwarf gourami

and lots of live plants

Thankfully it's slightly overfiltered with a fluval 205

Just done the 3 std tests and all read nil

LOL

I dont think your fish should have them!

& if they do you cant catch it twice! :lol:

I feed my africans sushi wrap, sera granumeat, blood worms, jbl novo rift sinking sticks & jbl novo vert flake. they do really well with the mix.

I've got Elec yellows, and I feed them JBL Novorift , Bloodworm, and JBL pleco chips, is this a good mix or not, I'm new to keeping and looking after Cichlids

I don't feed bloodworms alot of the research ive done says this to me its just not worth it my fish do very well on the food that I feed I have no need to risk it with bloodworms go and buy some shrimp and make some homemade frozen food its better for them and cheaper..

"bloodworms have an undigestible exoskeleton and I wouldn't use them on any cichlid for any reason. Sure, fish are hardy and adaptable. I am sure their guts would get used to this undigestible material and learn to pass it, but why go that route when there's easy to use commercial foods with 0 chance of blockages.

I once plugeed up one of my haps and after seeing a blockage passed after a dose of epsom salt, I will avoid bloodworms forever..."

I'm sure none of you want to go through this..

http://www.malawimayhem.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6966

Or even worse have your whole tank wiped out by bloat..

NLS = New Life Spectrum - it's an awesome food and all you need to feed they reckon altho everyone seems to like a bit of variety!

I feed mine NLS Cichlid formula, JBL Novo Stick M, Nutrafin spirulina algae flake food, Feeze dried plankton, Brine shrimp flakes, Wardley cichlid crumbles, Wardley sinking pellets and a generic flake food occassionally. Once a week they get frozen shrimp and a hunk of cucumber.

Have had no trouble with bloat or anything. I only feed twice a day and only ever enough that it is all consumed within 1-2 minutes. They always look at me like they NEED more but we all know what cichlids are like when it comes to their food! :wink:

I do a mix in the blender-a few prawns, spirulina tabs, pumpkin seeds, frozen peas and broccoli, a few colourbits. Blend then bind with gelatine, and freeze into blocks.

I keep some aside to mix in some bloodworms and JBL gala- this after freezing goes into the new world cichlids and pleco tanks.